GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
He similar in age to Tkachuk. He has similar overall impacts to Tkachuk, especially during the regular season.
He’s closer in age this summer (27) to Huberdeau (29) when he was traded than Tkachuk (24) when he was traded.

I’d say he’s more similar to Huberdeau in Tkachuk stylistically. Statistically his impacts this season (2.6 WAR) were closer to Huberdeau in 21/22 (2.6 WAR) than Tkachuk in 21/22 (4.2 WAR).

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Sens fan. Wondering if theres any situation where leafs would trade us both robertson and lilly as a package and what kind of return that would take coming back?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Sens fan. Wondering if theres any situation where leafs would trade us both robertson and lilly as a package and what kind of return that would take coming back?
Probably take an overpay given the teams involved. I'd expect with an immediate update to one of them. So top 4 D or top 6 fwd

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

That depends entirely what the goal is, is it to trade picks or roster players? I'd imagine the Leafs would be interested in a defenseman like Zub. Maybe even Chychrun could make sense.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Running multiple different scenarios in my head, it’s hard to see Bertuzzi coming back. We need to address the second line center position and allocating that cap space to someone like Stephenson makes a lot more sense. Knies - Stephenson - Nylander.

Reactions: aingefan

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
That depends entirely what the goal is, is it to trade picks or roster players? I'd imagine the Leafs would be interested in a defenseman like Zub. Maybe even Chychrun could make sense.
I was thinking picks, to be honest. Maybe something around 26th overall. Cychrun would potentially be available (but i don't know how that value lines up). Not a chance on zub.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I was thinking picks, to be honest. Maybe something around 26th overall. Cychrun would potentially be available (but i don't know how that value lines up). Not a chance on zub.

And thus this is probably the end of that discussion. Not sure a 26th round pick is in enough to entice moving 1 or 2 roster players.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
And thus this is probably the end of that discussion. Not sure a 26th round pick is in enough to entice moving 1 or 2 roster players.
Yeah i figured it required more, although some people dramatically overvalue picks here so you never know.

Reactions: SprDaVE

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Yeah i figured it required more, although some people dramatically overvalue picks here so you never know.

I could see a world that a late first for Liljegren works if the Leafs have other plans to bolster their RHD, similar to the Sandin for 1st trade at the deadline last year. I don't see Robertson available in the same kind of trade and he's likely more valuable than most expect. If the Leafs were to package both, it'll be for an upgrade on their roster.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The Leafs have definitely benefited from Robertson building his profile. It'll be curious how they'll approach him given there will be a new coach. I'd imagine Lily has a target on his back from Tre, getting the Sanding return would be best case scenario.

Without getting ahead of ourselves, it'll be curious how many longer term deals Tre locks in this summer given that I'd imagine the Leafs will be keeping a close eye on what McDavid opts to do by the summer of '26

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
I could see a world that a late first for Liljegren works if the Leafs have other plans to bolster their RHD, similar to the Sandin for 1st trade at the deadline last year. I don't see Robertson available in the same kind of trade and he's likely more valuable than most expect. If the Leafs were to package both, it'll be for an upgrade on their roster.

If toronto is able to get a 1st for liljegren, they need to do it right now before opposite team change his mind. Personally, i dont think liljegren value is pthat high et for me its pretty easy to find someone to replace a guy like him.

but im agree robertson have more value for the leafs than a 1st pick.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If toronto is able to get a 1st for liljegren, they need to do it right now before opposite team change his mind. Personally, i dont think liljegren value is pthat high et for me its pretty easy to find someone to replace a guy like him.

but im agree robertson have more value for the leafs than a 1st pick.

It's more about his age, he's cost controlled and he does have some upside to keep improving into someone more consistent. He's only 25 years old. I don't disagree that the Leafs may try to change it up and that might mean the end of Liljegren here but his value shouldn't be that low. If there's not enough value on the market, he should 100% be back.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
1. This team has had an elite PP for years.... it fell short in this playoffs... was 6th last year. Blaming a brief outage of the PP, that has otherwise been elite for years, seems short sighted.
2. What we've always needed, was a stabilizing factor for Rielly... a good partner... Schenn provided that... Boosh wasn't terrible. Hainsey provided that. When we have that, Rielly excels.
3. Point shots are overrated... but then, Timmins has a rocket

If you think we can find a more dynamic PP player... please propose who that might be, and how we will obtain them.

If we traded Rielly, Montour would probably be a target as a UFA, failing that, Ghost is also a good PP guy.

We also need to fix the PK

Skjei-Montour
McCabe-Tanev
Benoit-X (could be anyone like Liljegren I guess but I think Liljegren is gone)

Also landing 3 of the big UFAs on defense seems unlikely.

Reactions: aingefan

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Running multiple different scenarios in my head, it’s hard to see Bertuzzi coming back. We need to address the second line center position and allocating that cap space to someone like Stephenson makes a lot more sense. Knies - Stephenson - Nylander.
Why does anyone want him back?

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
They have a bad track record of setting precedents. They set the precedent for dumping one year of a player for a 1st (Marleau) and they set the precedent for overpaying RFA’s on <8 years term.
I don't disagree, but both of those were byproducts of earlier mistakes. The first was because of a signing made by Lou.

I don't think that you can compare giving up a 3rd to do what I proposed to those two.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Why does anyone want him back?
Because every line he was on was probably one of our better puck possession lines and after he started getting comfortable on the team and his bad luck ran out he started to score consistently. Him and Domi led the team in playoff scoring too and his slow start probably makes it so his cap hit isn't higher than what he's getting now.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
It's more about his age, he's cost controlled and he does have some upside to keep improving into someone more consistent. He's only 25 years old. I don't disagree that the Leafs may try to change it up and that might mean the end of Liljegren here but his value shouldn't be that low. If there's not enough value on the market, he should 100% be back.

hes the same draft of valimaki, brannstrom, Vaakanainen, cal Foote, Jokiharju, Timmins... Hes playing in toronto because leafs are pretty weak in the Right side of the D. Benoit had 25 and leafs got him free, even at 25 you can easily find player like liljegren.

For me every D of that list ( including liljegren are nothing else than depht D and healthy scratch in any good healthy D.

WatchOut

Feb 7, 2016
Ontario
Someone mentioned adding Lindholm (7-7.5m) and Zadorov (5 - 5.5m) as UFA for about 14m.

That got me thinking, we should trade Marner to Seattle for Larsson, Bjorkstrand and 2nd round pick.

Resign Domi around 3.5m for 5 years.

Giving us a good d-core and stong forwards depth as well, while leaving us with about 5.5m to add another defensemen and goalie.

The only question I have is, do we add another top 4 d-man and low cap goalie or trade for a starter goalie (around 4m cap) and resign Timothy.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Because every line he was on was probably one of our better puck possession lines and after he started getting comfortable on the team and his bad luck ran out he started to score consistently. Him and Domi led the team in playoff scoring too and his slow start probably makes it so his cap hit isn't higher than what he's getting now.
He had a career season in terms of goal scoring a few years ago and has never come close to matching. God bless his advanced stats, but the reality is that he scored 20 goals on the second highest scoring team in the league and has a penchant for taking lazy, undisciplined penalties, including in the playoffs. That would be all well and good if he was being paid like a third liner, but if he wants $5 or $6 million on term, he can go find it somewhere else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad