Player Discussion Victor Olofsson (2014, 181st) - Part II (Heading to UFA, Playing at the WCs)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Awesome to see the growth in his game. The board play has been excellent. The other thing that's started to click? What to do with the puck when there is no play or lane in the offensive zone. He's getting it back in deep to cycle instead of trying to stickhandle or pass into traffic. That's cut way down on turnovers against and with his linemates' uptick on the forecheck, it's keeping possession more in the offensive zone. And by uptick, obviously, that's Jack coming into his own (mostly).

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
That shot is just ridiculous. Don't have anything else to add here, but my god.

I can't see the puck even on the slow-mo replay on a high def video. It just teleports from his stick to the back of the net.
I just loved hearing RJ say he ripped it off the post... and... he scores? And it looked like no one on the ice knew where that puck went either, everyone kinda hesitated. Everyone but Goalofsson. He knew where it went, and he didn't even smile. Just looked stone cold. Love it.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
No question he's come on fully as a player at even strength. We just need to fix the damn power play (and PK for that matter).

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Awesome to see the growth in his game. The board play has been excellent. The other thing that's started to click? What to do with the puck when there is no play or lane in the offensive zone. He's getting it back in deep to cycle instead of trying to stickhandle or pass into traffic. That's cut way down on turnovers against and with his linemates' uptick on the forecheck, it's keeping possession more in the offensive zone. And by uptick, obviously, that's Jack coming into his own (mostly).
Its so hard to know whats really going on from an outside perspective, but I hope some of it is that Krueger and the coaching staff are making a tangible difference.

Its been a mentality on these boards, and probably justified giving the coaching we've had, that the roster's ability is capped in terms of incoming talent. Having guys develop while in the NHL is going to be huge for this team if it means guys like Joker, Mitts, Olofsson, Dahlin, and Cozens can improve not just as a factor of getting older

Reactions: Chainshot

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Its so hard to know whats really going on from an outside perspective, but I hope some of it is that Krueger and the coaching staff are making a tangible difference.

Its been a mentality on these boards, and probably justified giving the coaching we've had, that the roster's ability is capped in terms of incoming talent. Having guys develop while in the NHL is going to be huge for this team if it means guys like Joker, Mitts, Olofsson, Dahlin, and Cozens can improve not just as a factor of getting older

Its the only way this is going to work out, regardless of other deals.

They need this kind of development to happen and it's awesome to watch with VO.

I thought Asplund looked like a player last year, and it looks like he has really gotten comfortable on na ice. If he can keep growing it would make a world of difference.

Reactions: joshjull

Sansbacon

Sep 26, 2006
Westchester, NY
I just loved hearing RJ say he ripped it off the post... and... he scores? And it looked like no one on the ice knew where that puck went either, everyone kinda hesitated. Everyone but Goalofsson. He knew where it went, and he didn't even smile. Just looked stone cold. Love it.
The Devils broadcast had the same exact reaction. It was hilarious to go back and watch the highlights with the Sabres broadcast because they sounded almost identical.

I’ll give credit to the official standing right there because he called it a goal almost immediately. But yeah, his shot is just absurd.

Reactions: Wisent42

mechaworm

Nov 5, 2019
That shot is the reason you can't really predict him to fall apart or regress too badly. He might not become a complete top 6 player in every facet. But he's not going down to the AHL again if he's safe money for 25 goals.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Was at the game last night and Olofsson's decision making with the puck really stood out with how sloppy the rest of the team was. He wasn't part of the problem, and I wish Risto wouldn't refuse to give him one timer opportunities on the PP.

Reactions: Chainshot

FloridaSabresFan

Nov 5, 2019
I have been really impressed with Olofsson lately. People say he is a top 6. If he continues he isn't a top 6. He will be a 1st line winger.

Putting him on the second line will be an after thought.

I also think Olofsson is turning out to be the perfect winger for Eichel. I think having someone on the other side with a front of the net presence would create a very dangerous 1st line.

Reactions: Rasmi

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I have been really impressed with Olofsson lately. People say he is a top 6. If he continues he isn't a top 6. He will be a 1st line winger.

Putting him on the second line will be an after thought.

I also think Olofsson is turning out to be the perfect winger for Eichel. I think having someone on the other side with a front of the net presence would create a very dangerous 1st line.

If they could get someone with strong wall play and finish in front of the net, they could split Reinhart back off to do what he does with Skinner (which was pretty good).

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I think the thing that impresses me the most so far is his improvement with board work and handling the puck. Even in the beginning of the year he was easily removed from the puck and didn't seem to know what to do on the ice other than setting himself up for a one-timer. Now he seems way more confident, has no problem carrying the puck around in the offensive zone and is consistently winning board battles. The rate of improvement is nuts.

Gubbhornet

Dec 5, 2019
Thank you Tim Murray for Olofsson and Asplund.

I think you should thank Fredrik Andersson who was a scout for Buffalo when both Olofsson and Ullmark was drafted. Considering that he lives only 20 km from the MODO arena (where they both played) makes me believe that he pushed for them.

Apart from Olofsson & Ullmark, also Gustav Possler was drafted which didn't turn out great. But 2 out of 3 late rounders that made it in to the roster in the few years he was scouting is quite the track record.

Fredrik Andersson at eliteprospects.com

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I think you should thank Fredrik Andersson who was a scout for Buffalo when both Olofsson and Ullmark was drafted. Considering that he lives only 20 km from the MODO arena (where they both played) makes me believe that he pushed for them.

Apart from Olofsson & Ullmark, also Gustav Possler was drafted which didn't turn out great. But 2 out of 3 late rounders that made it in to the roster in the few years he was scouting is quite the track record.

Fredrik Andersson at eliteprospects.com

Let's chip in for a fruit basket.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad