Prediction Contest: When is Keefe fired?

When does Keefe get fired?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
He still makes a lot of rookie mistakes and repeat mistakes at critical times for someone with his many years of experience. He might be better than he was, but don't want to see a decades long learning curve to competence. Out you go!

Reactions: OddyOh

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
either fire him or put the word out through one of the company paid insiders that he's coming back , can't imagine the decision hasn't been made yet so unless he's already been told and there keeping it quiet for some reason there's no use in letting him twist in the wind and have the fans endlessly speculate on his future

Reactions: Kiwi and ToneDog

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
If the only major change is keefe, I'll be back when we inevitably lose again for similar reasons under a new head coach.
My prediction:
  • Keefe out
  • Berube in (mistake #1)
  • Core 4 stay (mistake #2)
  • Shanahan stays or is transitioned into a different role like Lou was (mistake #3)
  • Friday's presser = we want to take our time, evaluate, and stay the course.

Last edited:

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
I wonder if they are waiting to make sure they get the coach they like before letting Keefe go. If they don’t get any of the guys they like they might feeel sticking with Keefe is a better option.

Reactions: Buds17

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I wonder if they are waiting to make sure they get the coach they like before letting Keefe go. If they don’t get any of the guys they like they might feeel sticking with Keefe is a better option.
as good and probably the best explanation as to why we haven't heard anything

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
More likely there are still negotiating money and term with Berube.

Supposedly from Friedman.

One thing I believe is the NHL Tuesday was draft lottery day. I don't think the league wanted a lot of news on that day (mentions the league understood Ottawa's coaching change) but the league didn't want too much to interfere with the Celebrini celebration. Also Sheldon Keefe was inducted into the Brampton Sports Hall of Fame on Tuesday night and the Maple Leafs are very sensitive of that. But I think Wednesday is going to be the day where they really start to meet and go over what's coming and I think that's why the availability was pushed from Thursday to Friday.

Last edited:

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
I don't want Berube as HC. Don't know why but I feel like he just got lucky with winning the cup in St. Louis because of a hot Binnington.

I'd prefer Coach Q over him.

Dream scenario would be to get Rod the Bod or Jon Cooper.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I don't want Berube as HC. Don't know why but I feel like he just got lucky with winning the cup in St. Louis because of a hot Binnington.

I'd prefer Coach Q over him.

Dream scenario would be to get Rod the Bod or Jon Cooper.
i'd also take any of Q/RB/Cooper over him , Q especially but i doubt they'd hire him in this market

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
i'd also take any of Q/RB/Cooper over him , Q especially but i doubt they'd hire him in this market
I'd take Cooper or Rob but they are not likely to be available. You can wait to see what Rod does but I'm thinking he is using the Leafs as leverage and will resign in Carolina.

Berube appears to be the best coach available and you may lose out if you wait too long.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
My prediction:
  • Keefe out
  • Berube in (mistake #1)
  • Shanahan stays or is transitioned into a different role like Lou was (mistake #3)

IMO, there’s no “stay the course anymore” But where is the accountability? The building will still sell out every night, they will make the playoffs, and same issues will resurface. Let’s stay the course till the core guys age out, yea great plan. But like I said, who is keeping them accountable?

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I'd take Cooper or Rob but they are not likely to be available. You can wait to see what Rod does but I'm thinking he is using the Leafs as leverage and will resign in Carolina.

Berube appears to be the best coach available and you may lose out if you wait too long.
Your probably right on all accounts but maybe/wishfully Rod is tired of the Canes penny pinching (which i can't blamed them for since that market doesn't generate much revenue) and is looking for a change .

Reactions: wc17 and ToneDog

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I am getting the feeling that they are running the whole damn thing back... because "we are so close".

I have never seen a group lie to each other like these clowns do. They deserve to fail.

It takes 16 wins to earn the cup. This bunch has only ever had 5, and they have the gall to say they are close. Brutal.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
IMO, there’s no “stay the course anymore” But where is the accountability? The building will still sell out every night, they will make the playoffs, and same issues will resurface. Let’s stay the course till the core guys age out, yea great plan. But like I said, who is keeping them accountable?
The fans do their best, but it's not our job to keep them accountable - that's on ownership.

And if this is the decision that they ultimately decide to go, it's probably the first time since TPP that we should be heavily questioning and holding the telecomms to account.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
I am getting the feeling that they are running the whole damn thing back... because "we are so close".

I have never seen a group lie to each other like these clowns do. They deserve to fail.

It takes 16 wins to earn the cup. This bunch has only ever had 5, and they have the gall to say they are close. Brutal.
My brother always makes the joke that tampa bay was our stanley cup, we had the boys bringing out the budweisers for that one series win.

Their current mentality has me questioning if that is actually the case. You'd think not since they won a round and got spanked the next, but maybe winning one round is their stanley cup.

Reactions: wingman75

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Berube is not a miracle worker. I hope they won’t simply run it back with a different coach. After his cup win, he has gone to the 2nd round once and that’s it. You need the right roster too. If they think they just hire Berube and they will go on a run next spring with the same cast of characters, then they are delusional.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Many long suffering fans gonna jump off the bandwagon if they run it back. If eight years of playoff failure is not enough of a sample size to tell you/them that it won't work, then keep drinking the blue and white kool-aid. You will need it cause groundhog day is late next April.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
My brother always makes the joke that tampa bay was our stanley cup, we had the boys bringing out the budweisers for that one series win.

Their current mentality has me questioning if that is actually the case. You'd think not since they won a round and got spanked the next, but maybe winning one round is their stanley cup.
Oh, I have no doubt they believe it when they say it. Which is THE problem. The playoffs do not give moral victories or lessons. It's either you got it done, or you did not. If you're not first you're last!!

The fact this group has had 8 chances to 'get it done', and has mustered a wowing 5 wins max in one playoff tells me they are out to lunch about how close they are. Like, how would they even know? They got spanked in round 2 the only time they were there, and have never even seen round 3 or 4. If they were losing in round 3 or 4, then yea, I could get behind the 'we are so close'. But to say that when you have LOST in the first round in 7 out of 8 seasons is full on laughable. Credit to Rielly for being the only one to be honest about that.

They legit feel like they accomplished something by losing in game 7 in the first round... let that sink in. That's like me asking for a raise because I managed to login to work this morning.

Some others have said, if the only move is to fire Keefe, it is a fail. It is not enough. Shanahan, Keefe and Marner need to be gone. That would put the rest of these clowns on alert. New world order bitches!

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
My prediction:
  • Keefe out
  • Berube in (mistake #1)
Not sure why Berube is a mistake. He is a hot commodity with a recent cup win. Who else? Do we wait for Sullivan or Cooper to be freed up? If those don't happen, then we're really up a creek. And no...please don't try and sell us on Q or...god forbid...Sutter. I'd burn every piece of TML gear I had and jump off the Gardiner if either of those things happened. I agree keeping the core 4 together is a mistake. As for Shanny, I think transitioning him into an advisor role (like Fletch) with no real power, is the best course. He saves face, the organization keeps some semblance of continuity for a new regime while allowing the new guard to chart a course without interference. And if, like Lou, he decides to move on to someone else, all the better. Its a win win, really.

Shooter14

57 years now and still hoping.
Feb 5, 2018
It could be that Keefe will be gone on Friday. But the Leafs will probably hold on after the playoffs, to see if any coaches will be let go, and decide at that point, if any our worth pursuing. If not then they probably have someone in mind that they can fall back on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad