Injury Report: 2015-16 Injury Report "He Could Have Played if Needed" edition.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Except Silf was great at being a defensive beast like always. Perry did nothing to help on defense or even on offense. Trying to go after Silf's performance is crazy imo.

I'm not criticising his defensive performance, I was merely stating that despite the assists he wasn't good enough in the offensive zone.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I'm not criticising his defensive performance, I was merely stating that despite the assists he wasn't good enough in the offensive zone.

But he doesn't need to be. He needs to provide some offense while also shutting teams top lines down. He did both. So I just don't get why you would go after him.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
But he doesn't need to be. He needs to provide some offense while also shutting teams top lines down. He did both. So I just don't get why you would go after him.

I don't think he provided much in the way of offense. I don't think the numbers are an accurate reflection of how he performed in the offensive zone. He was losing board battles frequently. Didn't do a good job at sustaining pressure and couldn't bury any chances. Kesler and Cogliano put in much better performances on that line.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
[NHL][/NHL]
I don't think he provided much in the way of offense. I don't think the numbers are an accurate reflection of how he performed in the offensive zone. He was losing board battles frequently. Didn't do a good job at sustaining pressure and couldn't bury any chances. Kesler and Cogliano put in much better performances on that line.

He battled hard, was chippy, and we know he was injured based off of the reports. I don't see what else you would've wanted. He played like he did in the 2nd half of the season. And whether he sustained offense pressure or not, he had 5 assists in 7 games and the key part is those 5 assists we're legit ones, ie good passes which directly led to the scoring chance.
Assist number 5 is a beautiful pass to kes.
Assist 4 comes from a great play in the dzone out muscling Nashville forecheckers
Assist 3 is the nice pass splitting the Nashville D to spring Sami for a break
Assist 2 he strips josi to setup cogs.
Assist 1 is kind of a fluke goal by Thompson lol.

I don't remember how Perry generated his points. Was it a bounce off his body? Were they secondary? I actually don't remember. And ye, one is the highest paid on this team and showed no effort. The other played through injuries and still played great defensively.
You're picking a real weird guy to go after. Going through the gdts he was always one of our better forwards each night. I recall quite a few plays where he went in and stripped the puck from the defenseman on the forecheck through effort alone.

DaDucks*

Silf was targeted and physically punished early in the series and nullified offensively. Totally agree with Paul here. I wouldn't blame him for how the series turned out, but I think imo, this series continued my questioning of his mental/confidence issues he might struggle with.

He finished the regular season on a much stronger note, compared to how he finished up in the playoffs. (not speaking solely on points)

Silf is quickly becoming the forward equivalent of Fowler.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
[NHL][/NHL]

He battled hard, was chippy, and we know he was injured based off of the reports. I don't see what else you would've wanted. He played like he did in the 2nd half of the season. And whether he sustained offense pressure or not, he had 5 assists in 7 games and the key part is those 5 assists we're legit ones, ie good passes which directly led to the scoring chance.
Assist number 5 is a beautiful pass to kes.
Assist 4 comes from a great play in the dzone out muscling Nashville forecheckers
Assist 3 is the nice pass splitting the Nashville D to spring Sami for a break
Assist 2 he strips josi to setup cogs.
Assist 1 is kind of a fluke goal by Thompson lol.

I don't remember how Perry generated his points. Was it a bounce off his body? Were they secondary? I actually don't remember. And ye, one is the highest paid on this team and showed no effort. The other played through injuries and still played great defensively.
You're picking a real weird guy to go after. Going through the gdts he was always one of our better forwards each night. I recall quite a few plays where he went in and stripped the puck from the defenseman on the forecheck through effort alone.

I'm not blaming Silf, just saying he doesn't deserve the praise he is getting as he was a non factor in the offensive zone. Most of those assists are routine plays that go unnoticed unless someone scores, the pass to Sami was awesome though.

I agree with DaDucks, he's becoming overrated the way Fowler was (although now it appears Fowler is the whipping boy which shows how fickle fans are). 15 of Silfverbergs 20 goals this year came against non playoff teams. He knows how to light up poor oppositions, I want to see him score more goals against teams that know how to defend.

As far as who I blame for the loss, I blame Perrys non production mostly. Fowler was too timid, Despres and Theodore sucked and Gibson shouldn't have started. Those 5 things are the biggest reasons we lost.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
I'm not blaming Silf, just saying he doesn't deserve the praise he is getting as he was a non factor in the offensive zone. Most of those assists are routine plays that go unnoticed unless someone scores, the pass to Sami was awesome though.

I agree with DaDucks, he's becoming overrated the way Fowler was (although now it appears Fowler is the whipping boy which shows how fickle fans are). 15 of Silfverbergs 20 goals this year came against non playoff teams. He knows how to light up poor oppositions, I want to see him score more goals against teams that know how to defend.

As far as who I blame for the loss, I blame Perrys non production mostly. Fowler was too timid, Despres and Theodore sucked and Gibson shouldn't have started. Those 5 things are the biggest reasons we lost.

As for your last paragraph it's definitely something I whole heartedly agree with.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Man, poor Thompson. Dude works his ass off and wears his heart on his sleeve and has had rough injury luck. Hope he can make a comeback from this.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
Goodbye Nate. This is the last year of his contract and he is going to miss most of the year. I don't see any point in re-signing a player over 30 who has had two major injuries in his last two contract years.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Well, the RC apologists have their first handy excuse for the **** show next year.

Blaming the season on Nate Thompson?

As far as I can tell, there is only one group that is way out of hand with the crazy reactions right now.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Blaming the season on Nate Thompson?

As far as I can tell, there is only one group that is way out of hand with the crazy reactions right now.

I guarantee you if this team doesn't win under RC, there will be excuses flying left and right by the RC fan club. As I said, this will just be the first one. Thompson is RC's kind of guy, a big body. That's an important loss already. And I'm being serious. I think Nate brings a lot when he's healthy.

I'm glad you're happy visiting the past. Let's revisit it at the end of next year.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I guarantee you if this team doesn't win under RC, there will be excuses flying left and right by the RC fan club. As I said, this will just be the first one. Thompson is RC's kind of guy, a big body. That's an important loss already. And I'm being serious. I think Nate brings a lot when he's healthy.

I'm glad you're happy visiting the past. Let's revisit it at the end of next year.

Oh, I have a feeling this topic will be a yearlong visit for you. Revisiting won't be necessary.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Oh, I have a feeling this topic will be a yearlong visit for you. Revisiting won't be necessary.

Not really. I'm not afraid to express an unpopular opinion now and then. But unlike some, I make my point and then wait for it to play out. I'm not one of those who likes to whine every shift of every GDT. The real irony is some of the people here pretending they are above having any emotion about this. Some of the same people who ***** every shift of every GDT.

The decision is done. There's nothing left to do but watch it play out. But FWIW, my frustrations stems from watching many years of management refuse to support Getzlaf and Perry in their prime when we really had a chance to win a cup (or two). We're now at a point of desperation relative to another cup and I see a GM who is always totally out of sync with any of his coaches. A GM who plays follow the leader with his roster every year and a GM who tinkers around the edges but never tries to make the bold moves needed to grab for the brass ring. Now I see him returning a personal friend to the HC position with the notion somehow it will be different this time. A coach who most feel, time has passed by. But I'm supposed to be excited because they said all the right things at a press conference? Sorry, no.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Dammit, Nate can't catch a break, I'm not sure we can replace him from within unless Wags really steps up. More work for Murray this summer, as if he doesn't have enough on his plate.

That Lowry proposal someone posted (heusy_79 I believe) is sounding pretty good about now.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Not really. I'm not afraid to express an unpopular opinion now and then. But unlike some, I make my point and then wait for it to play out. I'm not one of those who likes to whine every shift of every GDT. The real irony is some of the people here pretending they are above having any emotion about this. Some of the same people who ***** every shift of every GDT.

The decision is done. There's nothing left to do but watch it play out. But FWIW, my frustrations stems from watching many years of management refuse to support Getzlaf and Perry in their prime when we really had a chance to win a cup (or two). We're now at a point of desperation relative to another cup and I see a GM who is always totally out of sync with any of his coaches. A GM who plays follow the leader with his roster every year and a GM who tinkers around the edges but never tries to make the bold moves needed to grab for the brass ring. Now I see him returning a personal friend to the HC position with the notion somehow it will be different this time. A coach who most feel, time has passed by. But I'm supposed to be excited because they said all the right things at a press conference? Sorry, no.

Please. You've made your decision about how things are going to go before anything has even happened, you aren't waiting for it to play out. That's about as disingenuous as it gets.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Please. You've made your decision about how things are going to go before anything has even happened, you aren't waiting for it to play out. That's about as disingenuous as it gets.

I have an opinion and stated it and now am willing to see how it plays out. What is so disingenuous about having an opinion?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad