Injury Report: Cam Fowler

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Which worries me because, Theo knows how to get the pucks through.. Unlike Fowler.

Fowler is better in every other way, including not allowing goals to be scored while on the PP. That shouldn't worry you. Cam will do a better job of allowing the PP to set up, and move the puck around. Theodore may be better at getting shots through, and honestly I think that's debatable. He also got a lot of bounces this last series. 9 points in 34 games(only 2 of which were on the PP) isn't exactly painting him as a bigtime producer.

If you're right, and Theodore can consistently get shots through, the statistics should play that out. In this case, I don't think the statistics or the eye test really back that up. He's had some periods where his shot looked legit, and other ones(more of them) where it looked like a muffin that was being blocked all the time.

Last edited:

DucksAreCool

Feb 24, 2015
Which worries me because, Theo knows how to get the pucks through.. Unlike Fowler.
You must have only started watching in the playoffs and are judging Theodore off that and Fowler off sometime in the past. Had you been watching both players during this season, you'd know this isn't true.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
You must have only started watching in the playoffs and are judging Theodore off that and Fowler off sometime in the past. Had you been watching both players during this season, you'd know this isn't true.

Yeah Fowler has gotten a lot better at getting shots through. He got better while Sami got markedly worse until the last ten games or so.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I totally understand the argument that Bieksa should stay in. IMO, one good playoff series doesn't make up irreplaceable in the lineup though. Montour should easily be in the lineup over him. As for the last spot, there's an argument for Stoner, Bieksa, and Theodore. Personally I prefer Stoner to the other two.

Let's not kid ourselves. Bieksa could have went full Bieksa and he still wouldn't come out of lineup.

I don't know. I'm a big believer in not ****ing with what works.

I don't know what Montour did to earn playing for sure over Bieksa. Yes he got pucks to the net but defensively he was very hit or miss. Shocked as I am, Bieksa was in position nearly every time he had to be. And he was one of our best defensive players.

I don't think it's a good idea to punish your playoff difference makers based on regular season performance. And don't get me wrong. That performance was horrid. But he got a clean slate with the Calgary series and he stepped up.

If he turns into Swiss cheese against the Oilers then by all means bench him. I still want him gone come the expansion draft. But I don't think it's smart to bench him after playing that much better. It sends the wrong message to the team and it messes with what worked.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Montour wasn't hit or miss defensively. He's been pretty reliable for a rookie in his own end. Certainly ready to play at this level in a managed capacity with a good partner

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I will certainly be glad to get Cam back. But let's not forget, his second half of the year was definitely a drop off from the first half. We need first half Cam back.

DuckDude

Mar 16, 2017
I will certainly be glad to get Cam back. But let's not forget, his second half of the year was definitely a drop off from the first half. We need first half Cam back.

We were all saying Cam needed a break before the playoffs started. Unfortunately he got a pretty long one but maybe he comes back fresh and plays like first half Cam as you suggested.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
We were all saying Cam needed a break before the playoffs started. Unfortunately he got a pretty long one but maybe he comes back fresh and plays like first half Cam as you suggested.

i'd hope so but i wouldn't expect it. especially coming off his injury

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006

Nah... Been watching all season.. And fan since 93 lol. Fowler is no doubt a better player than theo..not denying that lol. Just concerned. Fowlers might have some rust.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I don't know. I'm a big believer in not ****ing with what works.

I don't know what Montour did to earn playing for sure over Bieksa. Yes he got pucks to the net but defensively he was very hit or miss. Shocked as I am, Bieksa was in position nearly every time he had to be. And he was one of our best defensive players.

I don't think it's a good idea to punish your playoff difference makers based on regular season performance. And don't get me wrong. That performance was horrid. But he got a clean slate with the Calgary series and he stepped up.

If he turns into Swiss cheese against the Oilers then by all means bench him. I still want him gone come the expansion draft. But I don't think it's smart to bench him after playing that much better. It sends the wrong message to the team and it messes with what worked.

I don't think Montour was hit or miss. I thought he was easily one of the better defenseman each night.

That said, I completely understand the reasoning for Bieksa to stay in. Another reason I'm in favor of benching him is that we have a lot more RHD than LHD.

LHD: Fowler, Lindholm, Stoner, Theodore
RHD: Manson, Vatanen, Montour, Bieksa, Holzer

Edit: Should have specified more: We have a lot more RHD that deserve to be in the lineup. Fowler and Lindholm are only LHD who absolutely should be in every night.

Having Bieksa in makes someone instantly have to play on their wrong side. I guess I could live with Bieksa-Montour as the last pairing, but I'd have Bieksa on a very short leash with Stoner waiting in the wings.

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
RC is not going to sit Bieksa after a pretty good last series for a guy who has not even played in the NHL since early in season.

As much as I dislike Bieksa's play most of the time, he is not going to get taken out of the lineup absent being hurt.

If everyone is in, one of Theo or Montour will be sitting every game.

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
I can't make a good argument for keeping Theo over Montour.

Lindholm Manson
Fowler Montour
Bieksa Vatanen

When the game gets tight, shorten to Lindholm/Manson and Fowler / Vats
Come on RC.. make it happen.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
I don't think Montour was hit or miss. I thought he was easily one of the better defenseman each night.

That said, I completely understand the reasoning for Bieksa to stay in. Another reason I'm in favor of benching him is that we have a lot more RHD than LHD.

LHD: Fowler, Lindholm, Stoner, Theodore
RHD: Manson, Vatanen, Montour, Bieksa, Holzer

Edit: Should have specified more: We have a lot more RHD that deserve to be in the lineup. Fowler and Lindholm are only LHD who absolutely should be in every night.

Having Bieksa in makes someone instantly have to play on their wrong side. I guess I could live with Bieksa-Montour as the last pairing, but I'd have Bieksa on a very short leash with Stoner waiting in the wings.

According to Stephens, sounds like Stoner is nowhere near close to returning.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I sure hope Bob has Bieksa's waiver in his back pocket. Because if he doesn't, we do not have one D eligible to make available other than our top 4. It scares me to think of Bob going shopping during the 24 hour midnight madness sale after the playoffs end.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
where did you see that? Last I saw is that he was practicing with team?

Clayton Stoner has not played for the Ducks since Nov. 15 and it appears the defenseman won’t become available in their next series.

Stoner has had difficulty fully recovering from abdominal surgery in December. The veteran experienced a setback after the All-Star break and hasn’t been able to gain back all of his strength, even after a three-game rehabilitation assignment in the American Hockey League.

“I guess it would be up to the doctors,†Stoner said, sounding discouraged. “Just not 100 percent, that’s all. Just tight and sore.â€

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/04/24/ducks-notes-initial-battle-for-the-puck-is-an-important-one/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad