GDT: Free Agent Frenzy 2020 12PM EST

What does Florida do today

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

stppnmd

Oct 3, 2019
I think we will grab a divisional playoff seed. Montreal will be nipping at our heels though. It wouldn't surprise me if they finished above Toronto. The only thing that scares me is if they re-align into 4 new divisions just for next season. I saw one article where they had us in the same division as Tampa, Carolina, Dallas, Washington, and Philly. Please god no.

At least we would be contending for a 1st overall in the 2021 Draft...

MillarWithASave

#CatsAreComing
Dec 12, 2011
Melbourne, FL
It’s crazy how many bigger FA’s still haven’t signed and which ones might not get a deal due to cap problems.

I’m hoping we pick up Granlund or Galchenyuk if we don’t get Hoffman or Dads.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Florida is now in a Situation where you must sign re-sign a top scorer.
Since hall joined Buffalo and maybe built the strongest line in the League. Hall-Eichel-skinner.
Toffoli a productive player joined MTL. what gives them an upgrade to there roster.

We added needed Defensman strength. But need now a scorer. as I mention the season. Hoffman, Dadonov, Yandle are all in the Top 5 Scoreing for the Panthers. Looseing Dadonov and Hoffman would be a serious step back.

Reactions: ProjectPanthers

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
the longer Zito waits, the lower the prices should be for UFAs. I think his first mistake was signing Gudas so quickly. I doubt he would have been given a comparable offer but it's not that big of a deal. It's insane Matheson was able to be moved considering the current environment.

Reactions: Kid Icarus

Thomas Colavecchio

Mar 24, 2019
I have no basis for this comment other than opinion, but I believe the Schmidt deal did not happen because the Panthers could not move Stralman to create the space on the D side.

Without moving Stralman's $$, and assuming the intention always has been to keep Weegar, the CAP would have been compromised to allow one of Hoff or Dads to be added to the F Group.

The delay for the forward move is now curious, since Hall's signing has set the upper limit.
Hoffman seems to me to be the Team's preference, as Dads number should be less in terms of real $ and maybe term as well. If Dads was their first choice, after Toffoli signed he could have been already done.

Reactions: BabyBarkov

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
the longer Zito waits, the lower the prices should be for UFAs. I think his first mistake was signing Gudas so quickly. I doubt he would have been given a comparable offer but it's not that big of a deal. It's insane Matheson was able to be moved considering the current environment.

I'm not ready to sing anyone praises yet but wow moving Matheson was near impossible and he did it quickly

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014

Or, just perhaps, Hornqvist is vastly overrated at his age and JR was willing to gamble a bit as his tenure as the Pens GM is coming to its end.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
So who's available from the Knights? Should be had for peanuts similarly to Schmidt.
I wonder how long the unity will last, even with the team being a perennial contender for at least the next 3 seasons.

Fleury, face of the franchise the first couple years, one foot out the door already and they're forced to keep him because no one wants that contract without an incentive. Now Lehner is questionable for the beginning of the season, "nah we aren't trading Fleury (in other word, we don't want to pay the price to get rid of him)".

Schmidt, who was an important piece for them the past 3 years, out the door you go as we need to make room for a new guy (pretty good new guy, but still).

Marchessault was in trade rumours this past season. Pacioretty was almost dealt at the draft. Martinez IIRC was rumoured to be available a few weeks ago. Tatar was dealt 6 months after acquiring him. Stastny had better offers on the table when he signed there, traded away.

I would think eventually treating your players like cattle will catch up to you.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I wonder how long the unity will last, even with the team being a perennial contender for at least the next 3 seasons.

Fleury, face of the franchise the first couple years, one foot out the door already and they're forced to keep him because no one wants that contract without an incentive. Now Lehner is questionable for the beginning of the season, "nah we aren't trading Fleury (in other word, we don't want to pay the price to get rid of him)".

Schmidt, who was an important piece for them the past 3 years, out the door you go as we need to make room for a new guy (pretty good new guy, but still).

Marchessault was in trade rumours this past season. Pacioretty was almost dealt at the draft. Martinez IIRC was rumoured to be available a few weeks ago. Tatar was dealt 6 months after acquiring him. Stastny had better offers on the table when he signed there, traded away.

I would think eventually treating your players like cattle will catch up to you.

Furthermore, teams get stale really quick in this league. They'd really could use a guy like Suzuki in their top6 but ofc this is easy to say in hindsight. Having the option of adding one or two new guys into the lineup at the beginning of every season is imo the best approach.

floridada

Jan 31, 2009
Florida
I have no basis for this comment other than opinion, but I believe the Schmidt deal did not happen because the Panthers could not move Stralman to create the space on the D side.

Without moving Stralman's $$, and assuming the intention always has been to keep Weegar, the CAP would have been compromised to allow one of Hoff or Dads to be added to the F Group.
This is what I was afraid of too.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Or, just perhaps, Hornqvist is vastly overrated at his age and JR was willing to gamble a bit as his tenure as the Pens GM is coming to its end.
Hornqvist is on the decline but will still produce and won't be a massive liability like Matheson. He's expensive for his role but there is an obvious net gain for us in the trade.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008

The delay for the forward move is now curious, since Hall's signing has set the upper limit.
Hoffman seems to me to be the Team's preference, as Dads number should be less in terms of real $ and maybe term as well. If Dads was their first choice, after Toffoli signed he could have been already done.
If it was about money they could move Matheson. Schmidt was probably seen as a nice to have and Schmidt may have had the most influence in the trade.

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
It would have been hard to trade Stralman before, but with this covid cap it might be impossible without adding a lot.

I mean people aren’t taking Tyler Johnson for free at 5 mil, can’t image anyone wanting Strals and that price.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
It would have been hard to trade Stralman before, but with this covid cap it might be impossible without adding a lot.

I mean people aren’t taking Tyler Johnson for free at 5 mil, can’t image anyone wanting Strals and that price.

Stralman isn't as bad as ppl make him to be. He took a lot of d-zone starts, PK minutes, and played against the top lines which equates to top4 dman performance but he's getting old and slow.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Stralman isn't as bad as ppl make him to be. He took a lot of d-zone starts, PK minutes, and played against the top lines which equates to top4 dman performance but he's getting old and slow.

He's fine, but at that price tag for 2 years it's a hard sell. If you literally cut his contract on half, 2.25 M for a year he'd be an easy move.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
He's fine, but at that price tag for 2 years it's a hard sell. If you literally cut his contract on half, 2.25 M for a year he'd be an easy move.

If his salary was 2.25 then there wouldn't be any discussions about him because he'd be a decent depth guy. I mean Dallas went to the finals with Sekera on board and he did his job well enough.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
If his salary was 2.25 then there wouldn't be any discussions about him because he'd be a decent depth guy. I mean Dallas went to the finals with Sekera on board and he did his job well enough.

That's what I mean, he'd be good value at that price. It's only that his contract is double what his value really is and that blocks other necessary moves.

Reactions: 16Skippy

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009

I agree he’s not that bad. But with the new market he went from being a little over paid to wayyy over paid

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
That's what I mean, he'd be good value at that price. It's only that his contract is double what his value really is and that blocks other necessary moves.

Well, the only necessary move, even prior to the Math-trade, is to trade Yandle away. To extrapolate the situation a bit... if the Cats had two other Yandle-type guys with similar money it would mean that there's less money to spend on the other defensemen and thus you can't point some $1mil fringe NHLer and say that he's blocking necessary moves (even tho I'm aware that at $1mil he'd be easy to move but rather make my point).

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Well, the only necessary move, even prior to the Math-trade, is to trade Yandle away. To extrapolate the situation a bit... if the Cats had two other Yandle-type guys with similar money it would mean that there's less money to spend on the other defensemen and thus you can't point some $1mil fringe NHLer and say that he's blocking necessary moves (even tho I'm aware that at $1mil he'd be easy to move but rather make my point).

No, there's lots of necessary moves...2C, 2W for starters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad