GDT: Free Agent Frenzy 2020 12PM EST

What does Florida do today

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas Colavecchio

Mar 24, 2019
I know hindsight is 20/20, but good night Dale overpaid for Stralman and especially Bobrovsky last offseason. Holy shit.

Of course a totally different environment this year than last with COVID and the flat CAP, but to be competitive it's nearly certain that any team / GM is almost always overpaying for FA's. For Fla, that's what you get when you draft poorly, and develop the talent that you do draft the way the Panther's have. Hopefully Mr. Z has a plan for that...

Last year, Dale was literally trying to save his arse, get to a new contract for himself, and freely spending Viola's $ to do so. Bad plan (hindsight is always 20/20) as the results speak for themselves.

Especially with Bob, as while he remains as one of the best goalies in the world, he could not overcome the quality and play D in front of him.

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
I wonder how long the unity will last, even with the team being a perennial contender for at least the next 3 seasons.

Fleury, face of the franchise the first couple years, one foot out the door already and they're forced to keep him because no one wants that contract without an incentive. Now Lehner is questionable for the beginning of the season, "nah we aren't trading Fleury (in other word, we don't want to pay the price to get rid of him)".

Schmidt, who was an important piece for them the past 3 years, out the door you go as we need to make room for a new guy (pretty good new guy, but still).

Marchessault was in trade rumours this past season. Pacioretty was almost dealt at the draft. Martinez IIRC was rumoured to be available a few weeks ago. Tatar was dealt 6 months after acquiring him. Stastny had better offers on the table when he signed there, traded away.

I would think eventually treating your players like cattle will catch up to you.

THIS !

Can’t stand Vegas...

Amen.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I mean, doesn't that describe our current roster? Apart from the mediocre goaltending. More like atrocious goaltending.
Eh I’m actually okay with our forward depth: we have six guys that would have scored 20 last year (Vat, Conn, Cookie, Huby, Horny, Barky) on our team and likely a 7th in Dady, Tippett has the potential to be the 8th. I expect Acciari to be more at 10, but we have some buy low guys who might add.

Everyone forgets that we didn’t have a legitimate second line last year after trading Troch and we might not ‘this year, but we essentially turned Hoffman and Haula into Wennberg, Hornqvist and Tippett

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Of course a totally different environment this year than last with COVID and the flat CAP, but to be competitive it's nearly certain that any team / GM is almost always overpaying for FA's. For Fla, that's what you get when you draft poorly, and develop the talent that you do draft the way the Panther's have. Hopefully Mr. Z has a plan for that...

Last year, Dale was literally trying to save his arse, get to a new contract for himself, and freely spending Viola's $ to do so. Bad plan (hindsight is always 20/20) as the results speak for themselves.

Especially with Bob, as while he remains as one of the best goalies in the world, he could not overcome the quality and play D in front of him.

When you're paying a goaltender $10 freakin million a season, he should be able to somewhat overcome the quality of D play in front of him (Like Markstrom did with Vancouver last year). He is after all being paid to be a difference maker. He was so bad that Driedger was better than him last season.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
When you're paying a goaltender $10 freakin million a season, he should be able to somewhat overcome the quality of D play in front of him (Like Markstrom did with Vancouver last year). He is after all being paid to be a difference maker. He was so bad that Driedger was better than him last season.
I agree, but the only productive thing is to see what happens this year: maybe he is a total bust; maybe he will then it arojnd

Reactions: I am not exposed

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Eh I’m actually okay with our forward depth: we have six guys that would have scored 20 last year (Vat, Conn, Cookie, Huby, Horny, Barky) on our team and likely a 7th in Dady, Tippett has the potential to be the 8th. I expect Acciari to be more at 10, but we have some buy low guys who might add.

Everyone forgets that we didn’t have a legitimate second line last year after trading Troch and we might not ‘this year, but we essentially turned Hoffman and Haula into Wennberg, Hornqvist and Tippett

Yeah our scoring is fine if we re-sign Dads or Hoff. We'd have a much more well balanced team than Toronto or Buffalo.

Reactions: violaswallet

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

Yeah our scoring is fine if we re-sign Dads or Hoff. We'd have a much more well balanced team than Toronto or Buffalo.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Yep: we won’t be as dominant but this committee could work better. Last year we were a 4 player team scoring but an elite 4 player team. This year I’m more optimistic that we will see Wennberg Tippett and Connolly have good games

Reactions: Dread Clawz

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
I'm still trying to understand why Weegar is in the trade talks. It made some sense when they were trying to get AP/Schmidt but now? It can't be the hanging arb decision, it's not going to be that much.

We finally hit a home run on a 7th rounder and they can't wait to get rid of him, lol. :mad:

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
I'm still trying to understand why Weegar is in the trade talks. It made some sense when they were trying to get AP/Schmidt but now? It can't be the hanging arb decision, it's not going to be that much.

We finally hit a home run on a 7th rounder and they can't wait to get rid of him, lol. :mad:
Your avatar makes me question why you're surprised lol.

Par for the course with this franchise.

floridada

Jan 31, 2009
Florida

What trade talks? Haven't seen any *legit* trade rumors on anyone today.

Thomas Colavecchio

Mar 24, 2019

Absolutely no disagreement with you that Bob played poorly last year, and that much more should have been expected from him. But don't forget that he didn't decide that he was worth 10 M / 7 years, DT did.

Ya, I wouldn't say no either...

Hard to ice a competent D when you have both Math and Yandle, combined also making North of 10 M, each needing to play sheltered minutes. When in fact Brown turned out to be Q's best option for 3rd pairing D'man, something is seriously wrong.

Asset management, plain and simple, sucked under DT. Hopefully Mr. Z changes all of that...

Reactions: BabyBarkov

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Everyone forgets that we didn’t have a legitimate second line last year after trading Troch
Not that we had one before that either lol.

I think there's way too much talk about this (especially by the media North of the border who traditionally aren't well connected to the Panthers), considering the only thing we know is that Weegar's agent filed for salary arbitration. Plenty of RFAs file for that every offseason and don't end up getting traded.

Weegar's agent could be trying to put pressure on Zito to get a longer contract done before the hearing, where he'll be awarded a 1 year contract and risk walking to UFA next year. Maybe for whatever reason, he doesn't want to sign longer than 1 year and intends to test the market next year.

Zito could be thinking between value now, value at the deadline, or Weegar as our own "rental" for the season. It's a tough call, but if you have an idea that Weegar isn't planning to stick around, this is a good time to find a replacement, especially at these prices for guys with term and money. Also how does Zito see Weegar? Is he a legit top pairing/top4 complementary guy to Ekblad, or someone who's just playing there because we didn't have a better fit available? Are his injury issues a concern, or something worth taking the risk?

Whatever it is, if Zito is truly shopping Weegar, he surely has his reasons and a plan in place to replace Weegar.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Not that we had one before that either lol.

I think there's way too much talk about this (especially by the media North of the border who traditionally aren't well connected to the Panthers), considering the only thing we know is that Weegar's agent filed for salary arbitration. Plenty of RFAs file for that every offseason and don't end up getting traded.

Weegar's agent could be trying to put pressure on Zito to get a longer contract done before the hearing, where he'll be awarded a 1 year contract and risk walking to UFA next year. Maybe for whatever reason, he doesn't want to sign longer than 1 year and intends to test the market next year.

Zito could be thinking between value now, value at the deadline, or Weegar as our own "rental" for the season. It's a tough call, but if you have an idea that Weegar isn't planning to stick around, this is a good time to find a replacement, especially at these prices for guys with term and money. Also how does Zito see Weegar? Is he a legit top pairing/top4 complementary guy to Ekblad, or someone who's just playing there because we didn't have a better fit available? Are his injury issues a concern, or something worth taking the risk?

Whatever it is, if Zito is truly shopping Weegar, he surely has his reasons and a plan in place to replace Weegar.
Yep: what is missing is a well specified explanation of why Florida wants and that leans me to think that the leaks are from the other teams.

As an economist, Zito is my hero: he thinks through contingency and maximizing value. Trading Weegar could increase but value it depends how. The three cases could be

(1) Upgrading D Ie Schmidt
(2) Weegar is forcing a high one year contract for free agency which impedes this year
(3) Hoffman and Dady both want team friendly contracts and he thinks bringing both back makes our team better

Reactions: BabyBarkov
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad