Who is a prospect you really wanted to see succeed but didn’t?

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Turcotte.

I guess the jury's still out but everything pointed to a Richards/Toews clone but his body just couldn't handle the recklessness. Just goes to show how rare and special those guys are.

He should still have a career and can still be a fan favorite, it's all work and heart out there. But the upside is likely waning hard.
This. Richards is one of my favorite players of all time, I was super excited for Turcotte even before the Kings drafted him.

canary

Jan 20, 2011
Toronto
Patrick O'Sullivan
Stefan Della Rovere
Rico Fata
Keith Aulie
Pavel Brendl
Robbie Schremp
Dan Blackburn

blink

Mar 6, 2002
Ontario
Nathan Gerbe, Ty Rattie, Brad Ross, Teemu Pulkkinen, Madison Bowey are some names that come to mind.

Gerbe I was rooting for since he was 5'5"..he did play a bunch of NHL games but always wanted him to be a star

Last edited:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Another random one for me was Adam Colagiacomo. I just got Internet access in 1996, so the 1997 Draft felt like the first time I could learn about the prospects during the draft year. Colagiacomo started off the season as a top 10 prospect. He was on a line with Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau for the Pacific Cup (precursor to the Hlinka Gretzky) and Colagiacomo led the team in scoring.

cola.jpg

I had gotten into collecting hockey cards around that time and pulled this card. So I had an irrational thought that it'd be worth a ton down the road.

By the time the draft rolled around, The Hockey News had Colagiacomo ranked #25. New Jersey was picking 24th so I watched that draft hoping that they'd pick him. But he'd slip not only out of the first round but also the second and third. I jumped on my dial up modem to load up the draft and he finally went in the 4th round (#82) to San Jose.

In the years since, I've read some anecdotes about him being physically mature at a young age so perhaps teams had an idea that he didn't have as much room to improve. One funny story was that he'd be routinely confused as being a parent of one of his OHL teammates since he looked much older.

ScoutyMcScoutface

Oct 12, 2023
Fedor Fedorov was built to be a 50 goal, 100 point power forward but was less emotionally developed than the average toddler.

I believe Brian Burke said he was the Canucks most naturally talented player, this being at time when we had Naslund, Bertuzzi and the Sedins.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Heponiemi, Heinola, Kupari, Laaksonen, Laine? PULJUJÄRVI, Somppi, Kuokkanen, Eetu Tuuola, Leevi Aaltonen, Jesse Nurmi? Simontaival, Hirvonen, Veeti Miettinen, JUOLEVI, Honka, Nikkanen, Turkulainen, Talvitie...

Reactions: Czechboy

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Yakupov reaching his potential with McDavid and Drai on ELCs would have done some damage to the league

Reactions: OKR

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad