Who is a prospect you really wanted to see succeed but didn’t?

Blues16W

Jun 18, 2023
As a Blues fan two come to mind right away in Bokk and Ty Rattie, seen a lot on Bokk surprisingly in this thread, although rattie to me always seemed like junior player to me, believe he's doing pretty well in shl currently though. Patrick Berglund had decent career but was supposed to be so much more and was soft as Charmin

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016
Magnus Paajarvi

Kasperi Kapanen, I always thought he was going to breakout one day and put up the points Nylander is now

Reactions: slumpy43

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
It will always be Teemu Pulkkinen for me.
- i still claim even today that, Red Wings never gave him a real chance
with his cannon of a shot, he could/should have been a Ovie lite at PP
so what if he couldn't play defense, or if his skating wasn't top notch,
look at Ovie last 5 to 8 years.. all he has done is stand on 1 spot
and hurled one timers in, Pulkkinen could have done that too
- or Brett Hull for that matter, shitty skater, couldn't play d to safe his life,
scored 700+ career goals, because of his shot

Reactions: Rufus T Firefly

The Colonel

Jul 7, 2008
When I was a little kid I was super into Brett Lindros coming up as a prospect and a more physically focused version of his famous older brother. Concussions ended his career at 20.

Around the same time I was super stoked on sniper Pavel Brendl who completely busted out.

More recently it’s gotta be Nail Yakupov. Feels like we were all inexplicably denied a talented star with personality and flare.

Reactions: WADEugottaBELAKthat

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Nic Petan, Jonathan Drouin, Lucas Elvenes, Victor Soderstrom(still time), Lias Andersson, Jusso Valimaki(injuries, playin now tho! And how could we forget THE DEUTSCHLAND DANGLER DOMINIK BOKK

For whatever reason Elvenes never cracked the NHL lineups in Vegas or Anaheim. This season he is Leksands leading scorer and has a shot at playing for Sweden at the World Championship.

Is there anything to see in terms of NHL potential or is his ceiling that of a top forward in Europe?

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Anybody that kicked *ss for Canada at the world juniors. No matter hwat team they played for, I kept an eye on them after the tournament.

For the Canucks off the top of my head...?

Krutov - was really exciting when Soviet players came over to the NHL.
Sandlak - Thought he was going to be a PF beast.
Herter - Big RH defenseman
Antoski, Stojanov, Pronger, Polasek, Holden - Canucks really loved chasing PF's back then...

After 2000's
R.J Umberger - Shouldn't have held out bro...lol

Luc Bourdon - RIP. If anyone hasn't seen this video, grab a box of tissues and spend a couple minutes making yourself sad but your soul happy.

Grabner - his skill should have meant a better career. 52 points one year was an outlier
Schroeder - He was 10 years too early for his kind of player, I think he would do a lot better in todays NHL
Shinkaruk - Similar to Grabner

Out of current, maybe too early prospects
Podkolzin - He is really looking good in the AHL this year, hopefully he has a long NHL career

In drafts that Vancouver has hosted, their picks are: Nedved, Antoski, Grabner, and Podkolzin. Nedved was solid but not while in Vancouver (traded pretty young when the Canucks were going for it in 1994), Antoski was a bum, Grabner was decent but a reach on draft day in 2006 and they traded him too early, Podkolzin has disappointed so far. Not the best, interesting results.

mynameisvincent

May 15, 2022
Many comes to mind, I remember being very high on a guy named Matt Puempel and thought he would be « ze » steal of the 2011 draft. But the 1st name that comes to mind is Louis Leblanc…still can’t believe the amount of hype the Canadiens’s created around him when he got drafted at the bell centre and fans where chanting his name.

Also Brandon Gormley never lived up to the crazy hype around him

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
The one NHL player who I felt for the most, because he was gonna be a pretty special player, and we were really starting to see it, was Jiri Fischer. The Detroit Dman who collapsed on the ice, and never played again due to a heart condition.

Flat out had it all. The size, shot, mind, compete level, skating ability for his size, etc. They likely win at least one more Cup if he had still been playing. Then he and Kronwall would’ve been a great 1-2 punch for even more years. Sucks when something like that happens.

As for Jiri, he’s still very much around. One of Detroit’s main decision makers these days, who very likely gets a shot at being a GM one day. He’s a great talent evaluator, and has the last say on Detroit’s dmen they draft. Very much responsible for their stable of young dmen. He’s the first one I can remember pushing Mo Seider. So when Detroit takes someone like Andrew Gibson in the 2nd Rd and celebrates, I’m buying in. Just look at him a year later. Looks like a steal now. Or when they take a project like Brady Cleveland, who may take 4-5 years, you give him the benefit of doubt. Fischer has a great eye for talent.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
I came here to say this. Talk about needing a pick to pan out :(

Also: Grigorenko. Damned car accident…
If not for the car accident, we might be talking about Datsyuk, Zetterberg, & Grigorenko in the same conversation, and probably another Red Wings Cup or two. Grigorenko was trending quite well before the crash, maybe not Kaprizov level good, but at least as good as Hudler if not a bit better.

Ryan Whitney talked on Chiclets awhile back about how Grigorenko absolutely tore up the 2003 World Junior for Russia, just months before the crash.

Rolo Tomassi

May 6, 2010
If not for the car accident, we might be talking about Datsyuk, Zetterberg, & Grigorenko in the same conversation, and probably another Red Wings Cup or two. Grigorenko was trending quite well before the crash, maybe not Kaprizov level good, but at least as good as Hudler if not a bit better.

Ryan Whitney talked on Chiclets awhile back about how Grigorenko absolutely tore up the 2003 World Junior for Russia, just months before the crash.
You are absolutely correct. He was a more highly touted prospect than Datsyuk or Zetterberg ever were. I remember being so excited, watching his progress and anticipating him coming over soon. Then, reading about the accident. Imagine how dynamite that team would have been with another explosive winger… As you said, we may have missed out on another cup or two.

ValeriKamensky

May 8, 2013
German Rubtsov, Logan Brown, Tyson Jost, Luke Kunin, Pascal Laberge, Kieffer Bellows, Adam Mascherin - well, almost every prospect from class of 2016. It was a first year when I started to watch prospects. It seemed every of them should be a 150-point producer at that time.
Since that bright times every prospects described by me as a “decent middle6 with some upside”, even Bedard 😂

Also Cody Glass, Sam Poulin, Jammieson Reese

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
German Rubtsov, Logan Brown, Tyson Jost, Luke Kunin, Pascal Laberge, Kieffer Bellows, Adam Mascherin - well, almost every prospect from class of 2016. It was a first year when I started to watch prospects. It seemed every of them should be a 150-point producer at that time.
Since that bright times every prospects described by me as a “decent middle6 with some upside”, even Bedard 😂

Also Cody Glass, Sam Poulin, Jammieson Reese
Jost left UND too soon, which happened in part because of the disastrous 2016-17 Avalanche season, so he (& probably the Avalanche) thought he would be needed right away to help.

Rubtsov was never a big points producer in junior pre draft.

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
One of the Wiesblatt kids would have been nice to see, considering everything the mom did to put them through hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad