Confirmed with Link: Craig Berube named the 32nd Coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Imagine having a goalie as good as the Nuck’s third stringer……..

Woll has the best stats of the playoffs... the goalie that was re-signed last year had some terrible stats.

If Woll was healthy, we'd have that, and likely from the start of the playoffs.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
View attachment 873977View attachment 873978

I just want to check... Do you think this is a physical lineup?

This is less physical than the Leafs...

The Panthers aren't the toughest team in the league by the way, there are a few tougher ones for sure, most of them not in the playoffs because toughness doesn't win games.
Its the configuration. You can't have 4 of the top 15 highest paid players on one single team, especially when they are all forwards. Goals in the playoffs are difficult to get, especially at the rules loosen a bit. You need plenty of traffic and players in the paint, it isn't rocket science.

They need to spread out the cap so that they can have balance and depth running 4 lines.

The Leafs were built better than the Oilers for years and I like Leafs D better. However, Oilers were wise to get Hyman who always played the right way but has really exceeded all expectations. Then they pick up guys liek Kane and Perry, players the Leafs would NEVER take a flyer on because they were out of favor.

Leafs like their nice players. The type that bake an apple pie with Mom and sell jerseys. Kane and Perry were added to the Oilers for nothing, no traded needed. It is a culture decision.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017

The Panthers aren't the toughest team in the league by the way, there are a few tougher ones for sure, most of them not in the playoffs because toughness doesn't win games.
Kreider
Trochek
Laff
Cuylle
Goodrow
Vesey
Lindgren
Fox
Toruba
Miller
Schneider

They are all either physical and/or extremely feisty players. Not to mention they've have also been rotating in Matt Rempe

Also, "panthers arent the most physical" team, doesn't change the fact that you said there's no team left in the playoffs that play a physical way. You're changing the goalposts.

Panthers are one of the most physical and feistiest teams In the league, everyone knows that. Im done arguing this with you

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Its the configuration. You can't have 4 of the top 15 highest paid players on one single team, especially when they are all forwards. Goals in the playoffs are difficult to get, especially at the rules loosen a bit. You need plenty of traffic and players in the paint, it isn't rocket science.

They need to spread out the cap so that they can have balance and depth running 4 lines.

The Leafs were built better than the Oilers for years and I like Leafs D better. However, Oilers were wise to get Hyman who always played the right way but has really exceeded all expectations. Then they pick up guys liek Kane and Perry, players the Leafs would NEVER take a flyer on because they were out of favor.

Leafs like their nice players. The type that bake an apple pie with Mom and sell jerseys. Kane and Perry were added to the Oilers for nothing, no traded needed. It is a culture decision.

Hyman was a problem here though, not a solution, he was producing at a ~30pt pace.

Kreider
Trochek
Laff
Cuylle
Goodrow
Vesey
Lindgren
Fox
Toruba
Miller
Schneider

They are all either physical and/or extremely feisty players. Not to mention they've have also been rotating in Matt Rempe

Also, "panthers arent the most physical" team, doesn't change the fact that you said there's no team left in the playoffs that play a physical way. You're changing the goalposts.

Panthers are one of the most physical and feistiest teams In the league, everyone knows that. Im done arguing this with you

I said I'd give you the Panthers, the rest you are just wrong...

I never get tired of hearing woulda coulda shoulda………

That is what this entire board is... if you want to reminisce about the good old days, go to a retirement home and discuss the Leafs.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He isn't now. So we were misusing him?

Less McDavids on this team to bounce pucks off of him... go watch his highlight pack if you think I am wrong.

He scores the odd nice goal here and there, but most are tap-ins.

I like him and don't think he was an issue, but I like to point out that he was insanely unproductive because most people complaining about how we traded him also complain about how unproductive the core is.

The core's scoring increased when Hyman left too.

Reactions: bax

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Hyman was a problem here though, not a solution, he was producing at a ~30pt pace.

I said I'd give you the Panthers, the rest you are just wrong...

That is what this entire board is... if you want to reminisce about the good old days, go to a retirement home and discuss the Leafs.
If IF’s and BUT’s were candy and hits everyday would be Christmas, real fan’s don’t make excuses, they identity what went wrong and hope the team fixes their previous short comings…………

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

Conveniently leaving Rempe out, and Trouba is probably more physical than anyone on the whole team. Schneider and Lindgren have it as well. Also, physicality isn't just being tough in a fighting sense. It's about being brave and going to areas of danger, and there are at least 5 forwards in that group that I could point out.

Look where I stand on the Skill/physicality ratio is about 70/30, but I do roll my eyes at some disassociating or being overly critical with it either being leftover Dubas crap or an adjacent issue of wanting to seem like a more sophisticated high-brow fan.

I'm not sure that describes you, but between here and other social media places, it's a little bit much.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
If IF’s and BUT’s were candy and hits everyday would be Christmas, real fan’s don’t make excuses, they identity what went wrong and hope the team fixes their previous short comings…………

Discussing past failures is not making excuses, not hard.

He was the only one with the stones to go into the corners and retrieve the puck, the other guys just waited for him to do the heavy lifting so they could score and get the glory……….

Why are you making excuses? His production was 3rd/4th line level.

Reactions: WillNy29

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Weird nobody is acknowledging that Berube stated the reason he chose the Leafs was the core.
The miserable circle jerk with vows of not watching next year can commence
He also said when you get a chance to coach the Leafs, as a Canadian kid you go for it. I doubt he’s going to throw any player under the bus, that’s the GM’s job, by getting rid of players that can’t play his type of game and acquire those players that can………

Discussing past failures is not making excuses, not hard.

Why are you making excuses? His production was 3rd/4th line level.
Not excuses, facts, I’m done responding to your inane takes, please stop replying to my posts………..

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Not excuses, facts, I’m done responding to your inane takes, please stop replying to my posts………..

You were trying to excuse Hyman's poor production... but if that is too much to handle, so be it.

Weird nobody is acknowledging that Berube stated the reason he chose the Leafs was the core.

Didn't see that, but if that is the case, I am assuming this board is going to turn on Treliving pretty fast (doubt it).

I also think a lot of posters who are men of their words will not be posting on this forum come September (they will be).

Reactions: Notsince67

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
You were trying to excuse Hyman's poor production... but if that is too much to handle, so be it.

Didn't see that, but if that is the case, I am assuming this board is going to turn on Treliving pretty fast (doubt it).

I also think a lot of posters who are men of their words will not be posting on this forum come September (they will be).
They would all be better off if they got off the forum so as not to feed each others confirmation bias.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Watching the IIHF world hockey championship, I hope these rumours about them being interested in Binnington aren’t true.

He’s absolutely brutal right now. I would honestly rather bring back Sammy then trade for him.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Less McDavids on this team to bounce pucks off of him... go watch his highlight pack if you think I am wrong.

He scores the odd nice goal here and there, but most are tap-ins.

I like him and don't think he was an issue, but I like to point out that he was insanely unproductive because most people complaining about how we traded him also complain about how unproductive the core is.

The core's scoring increased when Hyman left too.
Hyman is averaging 39 goals in Edmonton. Why didn't one of our stars ever bounce pucks off him for even 30? Massive indictment on our cap structure if McDavid is that superior to all of our $11 million guys. And what does it say that supposedly hack Oiler GM saw the value in Hyman that supposedly genius GM here did not?

In the games that matter most, we just scored 12 goals in 7 games. The days of waving pom-poms for regular season accomplishments for this Leafs era are long gone.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Hyman is averaging 39 goals in Edmonton. Why didn't one of our stars ever bounce pucks off him for even 30? Massive indictment on our cap structure if McDavid is that superior to all of our $11 million guys. And what does it say that supposedly hack Oiler GM saw the value in Hyman that supposedly genius GM here did not?

In the games that matter most, we just scored 12 goals in 7 games. The days of waving pom-poms for regular season accomplishments for this Leafs era are long gone.

McDavid is underpaid... I guess by your standards, everyone in the league is overpaid.

Why couldn't Hyman even produce like a good 3rd liner here? His production was terrible.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Any coach worth his salt would be attracted to that level of physical talent. Did you expect him to say 'I want player X out of here'? Besides which, possible changes will be made by those above him.

McDavid is underpaid... I guess by your standards, everyone in the league is overpaid.

Why couldn't Hyman even produce like a good 3rd liner here? His production was terrible.
Excellent sidestep/60.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
He isn't now. So we were misusing him?
I wasn't aware we had Connor McDavid in the back room to elevate otherwise terrible players.

If Hyman did what he's doing with the Oilers when he was here, he'd still BE here. The reason he was released is because he was missing empty f***ing nets in Toronto. Difference? Being released made him decide maybe he should work on his close range shooting. Because anyone who watches him can see it; the majority of Zach Hyman goals are McDavid and Drai doing all the work and Hyman standing in front to bang the garbage in. That was his role in Toronto, but here he couldn't do it at all.

Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad