Confirmed with Link: Craig Berube named the 32nd Coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Why do you guys respond to these morons? Ken Holland is 4 time Stanley Cup winning Hall of Fame GM. Stop wasting your time, and they'll go to the Pittsburgh forum where they belong.

It's not confusion. It's deliberate. They have an agenda.
Easy now. You don’t wanna upset a Dubas Jock Junkie. They may get angry and throw their purse against the wall.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Its the configuration. You can't have 4 of the top 15 highest paid players on one single team, especially when they are all forwards. Goals in the playoffs are difficult to get, especially at the rules loosen a bit. You need plenty of traffic and players in the paint, it isn't rocket science.

They need to spread out the cap so that they can have balance and depth running 4 lines.

The Leafs were built better than the Oilers for years and I like Leafs D better. However, Oilers were wise to get Hyman who always played the right way but has really exceeded all expectations. Then they pick up guys liek Kane and Perry, players the Leafs would NEVER take a flyer on because they were out of favor.

Leafs like their nice players. The type that bake an apple pie with Mom and sell jerseys. Kane and Perry were added to the Oilers for nothing, no traded needed. It is a culture decision.
If those 4 forwards happen to be Crosby Mcdavid Mackinnon and Draisaitl I think they might be able to pull it off but definitely not 4 non confrontational forwards.

I never get tired of hearing woulda coulda shoulda………
don't forget...only if

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Calls someone a moron... implies Holland is a good GM because he won cups 20 years ago... ok, that makes sense.

The agenda is calling out dishonesty which seems to happen a lot with the geriatrics on this board.

The latest temper tantrum from this group is because they can't admit that the same thing they hate the core for (not producing) is also what Hyman did here.
I guess the flames fly. Gen X here, forever amused at know it all nobodies. I’ll ask the board what’s worse being a “geriatric” or spending your days arguing with them? Seems lame, no? I mean, what young vibrant guy does that? Exactly. Go get a girl junior, it’s not our fault.

Remember when you left for a few months and nobody missed you? Might be instructive for your “life” journey.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
View attachment 873977View attachment 873978

I just want to check... Do you think this is a physical lineup?

This is less physical than the Leafs...

The Panthers aren't the toughest team in the league by the way, there are a few tougher ones for sure, most of them not in the playoffs because toughness doesn't win games.

We have been spinning our wheels saying need to get playoff performers, develop D and Tenders for years now. Most people just said whatever Dubas analytics analytics text orgasms and other bs. Well we wasted half our generational scorers hockey career on it and some other good players as well.

Now what? You need to have determined fighters that want to win and mean it. They show it in sacrificial plays. Those are the guys we want not freaking Kerfoots to the face.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
If IF’s and BUT’s were candy and hits everyday would be Christmas, real fan’s don’t make excuses, they identity what went wrong and hope the team fixes their previous short comings…………
Which is the problem with our top guys exit interviews....not much responsibility going on so, if nobody is recognizing somethings wrong then there is nothing to fix in their opinion which lines up with how our guys talk.

Reactions: Leafsfan74

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
We have been spinning our wheels saying need to get playoff performers, develop D and Tenders for years now. Most people just said whatever Dubas analytics analytics text orgasms and other bs. Well we wasted half our generational scorers hockey career on it and some other good players as well.

Now what? You need to have determined fighters that want to win and mean it. They show it in sacrificial plays. Those are the guys we want not freaking Kerfoots to the face.
Amen brother.

Would love to switch JT and MM for Marchessualt and Toffoli

myleafs

May 25, 2021
It's not his fauit he got top line minutes every year he was in Toronto and was basically stapled to Matthews for his entire Leafs tenure, and yet could never produce more than 40 points his entire time here, and was basically on the line to dig pucks out of the corner because he had stone hands in front of the net and didn't bother to do anything about it in 5 years?

Fact: He's scoring now. Fact: He wasn't scoring here. Fact: He was given every f***ing chance imaginable here; the only thing he didn't get here that he's getting in Edmonton is PP1 time. Fact: If he did what he's doing now in Toronto, he'd be resigned.

Because there are idiots who argue the Leafs should have oubid the Oilers for Zach Hyman and his career high 21 goals on the assumption he'd double that total if they did, because he ended up doing so.
I think with Hyman it is kinda what we saw this year....anyone who played on Matthews/ marner wing was an afterthought...Marner the passer always looks to pass off to Matthews. When Marner went out and Matthews had domi/bert on his lines it was a 3man line with all involved especially since Domi wasn't bias in his dishing out passes, it was refreshing. It showed me another level to Matthews game as well that I don't see when he is with Marner.

From what Ive seen Hyman is treated as an equal on his line and was right from the get go but part of that might be that he wasnt the only one digging for pucks, whereas he was the guy to do the dirty work for 34 and 16 when he was here. Also gotta give Hyman a lot of credit....something clicked when he left and he figured out whatever he needed to figure out to take his game to another level. I do agree that at the time I was not keen on giving Hyman 5m. Hindsight and all.

Reactions: Gabriel426

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Which is the problem with our top guys exit interviews....not much responsibility going on so, if nobody is recognizing somethings wrong then there is nothing to fix in their opinion which lines up with how our guys talk.
Agreed…….

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I agree, however to bring grittier skilled players in 2 or 3 of the soft skilled players have to leave. The salary cap is a thing.

There's the first mistake of many.
Honestly, I think if the kids were surrounded with proper vets, they would be better players today or at the very least be more willing to grind

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Honestly, I think if the kids were surrounded with proper vets, they would be better players today or at the very least be more willing to grind

I have advocated at different times getting old to become young. Toronto can entice a lot of top talent up there in age. The key is you need them to have legs still and short term deals.

AM Bert Domi at under 20m would be nice. William with relatively quick C would be an upgrade. Get them a hard nosed vet winger. Then sprinkle the rest around. Nothing wrong with that. The lines need to stay quick and physical though or else its a waste. Perimeter players need not apply. JT is just too expensive.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I have advocated at different times getting old to become young. Toronto can entice a lot of top talent up there in age. The key is you need them to have legs still and short term deals.

AM Bert Domi at under 20m would be nice. William with relatively quick C would be an upgrade. Get them a hard nosed vet winger. Then sprinkle the rest around. Nothing wrong with that. The lines need to stay quick and physical though or else its a waste. Perimeter players need not apply. JT is just too expensive.
IF it is possible. I would target Marchessault, Toffoli, Stephenson and Bjugstud to replace MM, JT, Kampf and Calle. Pretty sure Leafs will end up saving 4-5mil.
Put Marchessualt with Bert and AM. If that don't light a fire in AM's butt, nothing will.
Knies with Stephenson and Willie, will be another quick and strong line.
McMann-Domi- Toffoli will be another good line.
Then have Bjugstud as your 4C with Holmberg, Dewar or Revo.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
IF it is possible. I would target Marchessault, Toffoli, Stephenson and Bjugstud to replace MM, JT, Kampf and Calle. Pretty sure Leafs will end up saving 4-5mil.
Put Marchessualt with Bert and AM. If that don't light a fire in AM's butt, nothing will.
Knies with Stephenson and Willie, will be another quick and strong line.
McMann-Domi- Toffoli will be another good line.
Then have Bjugstud as your 4C with Holmberg, Dewar or Revo.

Old guys with a passion for winning are better at winning then overpaid young players looking to get paid.

Dropping MM and JT makes too much sense.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Old guys with a passion for winning are better at winning then overpaid young players looking to get paid.

Dropping MM and JT makes too much sense.
I agree, the goal is to win the Cup.
Ideally, Leafs trade MM and JT for picks and futures and then use that money to sign UFAs like Marchessault, Toffoli and Stephenson, that will be a huge WIN for Tre. But doubt the Hockey God will do the Leafs that favor.

Reactions: arso40

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
Looks like Sens fans on Twitter have already dug some skeletons out of Berube’s closet.
John 8:7 my friend.

Between the whistles a lot of these guys play differently, Domi being the best of the bunch and also the biggest outlier as he is skills only.

He also signed Kampf as a UFA.

You also missed a bunch of guys he signed like Holmberg, Samsanov, and Gregor.

When looking at the list, the UFAs were a lot of the biggest names, that is what I noticed.

If he is signing guys who will fight, that is just idiotic, so I hope that's not what you are implying.

What is the type of player here?
Blue collar lunch box

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Calls someone a moron... implies Holland is a good GM because he won cups 20 years ago... ok, that makes sense.

The agenda is calling out dishonesty which seems to happen a lot with the geriatrics on this board.

The latest temper tantrum from this group is because they can't admit that the same thing they hate the core for (not producing) is also what Hyman did here.
Don’t forget Naz.. lol 19 playoff games as a Leaf 10 points.
33 games with the Avs, 34 points

But it has nothing to do with the coaching…

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I don't agree. Marner doesn't have the temperament to do so. His attitude has been out there for all to see. He remains fragile and I don't care what the new coach says or even how he plays during the regular season. Once the gears shift up come playoffs, every team wants him on the ice when they are.

In fact, ALL of the core lacks it. We have seen spurts sure, but not the sustained "I will fight to the death to win this game".

Even JT disappointed me this playoffs. He seemed invisible when I thought he would really rev it up a notch.

Here is the exit interview I would like to hear behind closed doors: Keefes. What about Dubas opinion?

Now obviously they are biased and Dubas in particular is responsible for the good and bad. In the end though, if they honestly called out this and that player I would accept it as being legit. I am not behind the scenes obviously but I have a large, plasma TV, I can see what the coach sees.

The DNA of a player isn't easy to change.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
So, it is a very small sample obviously but I liked listening to the interview Berube had with Kipper and Bourne. He sounded a bit ornery and serious. This is NOT a bad thing, this is great. It says to me he's not just happy being the Leafs coach, he is dead serious about winning.

I recall Burns being the same. Quinn to a lesser degree but he didn't joke around too often, he was all business.

Scotty Bowman was the same according to people who met him. He learned from Toe Blake, just the greatest coach in history.

This team needs a guy to come in and immediately show that he means business. Losing should be unpleasant. It's a personal insult when you lose. Perhaps Berube with his background and manner in which he earned a living in the NHL is personally offended by a team being a little too cozy with losing when it matters most.

Last edited:

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
So, it is a very small sample obviously but I liked listening to the interview Berube had with Kipper and Bourne. He sounded a bit ornery and serious. This is NOT a bad thing, this is great.

Scotty Bowman was the same according to people who met him. He learned from Toe Blake, just the greatest coach in history.

This team needs a guy to come in and immediately show that he means business. Losing should be unpleasant. It's a personal insult when you lose.

What’s with this off topic post about Berube? This is a Dubas thread

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I don't agree. Marner doesn't have the temperament to do so. His attitude has been out there for all to see. He remains fragile and I don't care what the new coach says or even how he plays during the regular season. Once the gears shift up come playoffs, every team wants him on the ice when they are.

In fact, ALL of the core lacks it. We have seen spurts sure, but not the sustained "I will fight to the death to win this game".

Even JT disappointed me this playoffs. He seemed invisible when I thought he would really rev it up a notch.

Here is the exit interview I would like to hear behind closed doors: Keefes. What about Dubas opinion?

Now obviously they are biased and Dubas in particular is responsible for the good and bad. In the end though, if they honestly called out this and that player I would accept it as being legit. I am not behind the scenes obviously but I have a large, plasma TV, I can see what the coach sees.

The DNA of a player isn't easy to change.
This is where I disagree.

I really think if the leadership were Bergy, Marchand, and Chara. These guys will be a lot tougher to play against now. At the very least, they will fight for every inch on the ice. Bc like you said, they will be held accountable from the start.
I don’t think it is too late now but it is hard to change their habits and more importantly, it is tough for them to play a different way.

They are not comfortable with playing a tight checking, in your face, type of game where you need to earn every inches of the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad