G Adam Gajan - Green Bay Gamblers, USHL (2023, 35th, CHI)

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Gajan is an interesting case. There are always going to be certain goalies who find success at the WJC's based on their play style because they bring something different that a lot of other goalies don't. What Gajan brought was a big frame, high level of agility, decent structure & good tracking. Essentially he was always able to get the majority of his body in front of shots. It was fun watching him against Canada fight off every shot. Looking at the game objectively though Gajan benefitted a lot from Canada's inability to finish & the team defense of the Slovaks. He was serving up rebounds like they were hot cakes & the lateral passes Canada was able to complete weren't going above 11in. That was the difference between the Slovakian & US games for Canada, vs the USA Canada was able to elevate the puck resulting in a lot of goals.

Gajan has obviously earned eyes on him for the rest of the season, I'm just not convinced he's worth a draft pick yet. Of course I'm a lot more stricter in who I would draft whereas NHL teams are out there picking Zhigalov's and Shmakov's.

stastny12

Dec 26, 2018
Trencin, Slovakia
Gajan is an interesting case. There are always going to be certain goalies who find success at the WJC's based on their play style because they bring something different that a lot of other goalies don't. What Gajan brought was a big frame, high level of agility, decent structure & good tracking. Essentially he was always able to get the majority of his body in front of shots. It was fun watching him against Canada fight off every shot. Looking at the game objectively though Gajan benefitted a lot from Canada's inability to finish & the team defense of the Slovaks. He was serving up rebounds like they were hot cakes & the lateral passes Canada was able to complete weren't going above 11in. That was the difference between the Slovakian & US games for Canada, vs the USA Canada was able to elevate the puck resulting in a lot of goals.

Gajan has obviously earned eyes on him for the rest of the season, I'm just not convinced he's worth a draft pick yet. Of course I'm a lot more stricter in who I would draft whereas NHL teams are out there picking Zhigalov's and Shmakov's.
I get your point but it was not only about one game. He was pretty decent in all of his showings. Although, I agree. He needs to confirm it during this season in USHL.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
I'd definitely be using a 4th round or later pick on him (if he's there) after this WJC performance. The physical frame is there and potential after that display vs Canada.

stastny12

Dec 26, 2018
Trencin, Slovakia
I'd definitely be using a 4th round or later pick on him (if he's there) after this WJC performance. The physical frame is there and potential after that display vs Canada.
Thomas Milic is also option for late-round picks. Hard to say who is better choice...

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006

Seems like there is a huge difference between success in the WJC tournament and NHL potential. Can think of a number of goalies who stood out in this tournament, Godla immediately comes to mind, who never drew much attention.

Conversely, other goalies who were never chosen to represent their country emerge as stars.

Wish I could identify the traits that make this so.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I think 6' is fine. why is it too small now?

There are still plenty of talented 6' goalies in the nhl.

I understand 5'10" or 5'11" being small, but 6' should be fine.

It's too small if you're not an elite skater. Milic isn't an elite skater which is why NHL teams have yet to draft him.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Has stopped 100 of 105 shots over his last 3 games, and won all 3. He has 8 wins and 2 losses since the first game of February. Would’ve been nice to see him at the U18’s but aged out of course.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

Pazucha

Apr 3, 2023

The real interest cannot be deceived. Adam immediately explained why he particularly emphasizes the "Black Hawks."

"Goaltending scouts have a much closer relationship with goaltenders than when a scout talks to a player. The Chicago goaltending scout communicates with me often; he has come to see me in person about ten times, and the head scout of the club has also seen me with his own eyes."

He clarified that genuine interest cannot be fooled.

"Many teams tell me that they have me highly rated and would like to draft me, but with some of them, you feel they have a significant interest. They engage in more detailed conversations with me. With Chicago, my agent and I have a very good feeling," says our goaltending comet.

Reactions: Faterson

Pazucha

Apr 3, 2023
Interview from sport.sk

Talented goalkeeper originally wasn't supposed to go to the Canadian tournament at the turn of the year, but in the end, the coaches took him at the last minute, and from the position of the third goalkeeper, he rose to become the best goalkeeper of the Under-20 World Championships. In four matches, he maintained an average of 2.4 goals per game with a 93.6% success rate. He showcased his talent especially in the amazing quarter-final against star-studded Canada. Thanks to him, the Slovaks troubled the favorite and fell only after a 3-4 overtime result and 53 saves by the emerging goalkeeper star.

"I don't think about the quarter-final anymore. Even after the match itself and Connor Bedard's winning goal in overtime, I didn't realize what was happening. I was primarily very tired. A few days after the tournament, it weighed on me a bit, how close we were to eliminating such a loaded Canada, which doesn't usually have such a star-studded lineup every year at the championships. They were afraid of us until the last second. A few months after the game, I watched it with my American host family, with whom I live in Chippewa. Maybe I could have done even more, but I can't change it anymore," Adam Gaján spoke.

Since then, no one doubts the young man anymore. His qualities are evidenced by the fact that he recently presented himself at the NHL combine along with five compatriots, where scouts select a hundred talents before the draft. "The tests went great, I was satisfied with them. I placed quite well. I talked to 19 teams because some teams didn't have goalie scouts at the combine. But before that, I spoke with representatives of thirty clubs," Gaján explained, revealing the teams with greater interest. "Chicago, Nashville, and New Jersey were more interested, but you never know how it will all turn out."

The name of the nineteen-year-old hockey player is highly regarded in scouting notes. The proof is that he could become the highest-drafted Slovak goalkeeper in history. The record is held by Peter Budaj, who was selected by Colorado in the 2nd round, 63rd overall, in 2001. The native of Banská Bystrica later made it to the NHL, where he played 368 games. Only Jaroslav Halák is better off among his compatriots.

"I don't focus on that, I can't influence it anymore. I tried to perform as well as possible during the season, I'm not stressed about it. It can't turn out badly. I'm looking forward to the draft, but I'm not unnecessarily stressed. I'm mainly happy that there were only six of us at the combine, and maybe there will be a double-digit number of Slovaks drafted," the talented goalkeeper smiled.

HE TIPS THE SECOND ROUND HIMSELF It is harder to predict in which round goalies might go. "Somewhere in the first or second round, maybe the third. I think that if nothing unexpected happens, I'll be in the second round. But it doesn't matter. Some goalies were drafted high and never appeared in the NHL. Then you have someone like the great Sergei Bobrovsky, who didn't even go through the draft," he added his view.

Adam Gaján is said to be the potentially best goalie in the upcoming draft. He is competing for the hypothetical top position with Czech Michael Hrabal. "I saw a few articles, read and heard about it. This year has changed a lot, but I feel the same as last year. I knew about my qualities, I just needed a chance," he pondered.

With his Czech rival, he became friends at the combine. "We didn't know each other before, but we became friends in Buffalo and spent a lot of time together. Michael isn't very good at PlayStation. We played a match against each other, Slovakia versus the Czech Republic, from the junior championship, and I won 11-1," Gajan laughed, able to evaluate the virtual Gajan's skills in the video game.

"Slovakia had a better goalkeeper, even though the character in the game didn't resemble me at all. I had different equipment there, my face wasn't there, only my name on the jersey. On the other hand, I played well and only conceded one goal out of 25 shots. I can't complain," the young man continued in a good mood.

The skillful goalkeeper reiterated that he always believed in himself, he just had to patiently wait for his opportunity. "Of course, I've improved a lot during this year. I was a good goalkeeper last year as well, but I never had a chance to show it in matches. I believed that I could perform as I know how to. I'm happy with how it turned out. I'll strive to improve every year. Perhaps I'm a good example for younger boys. Some goalkeepers have been in the national team since they were fifteen, going through all the categories. I wasn't there, but I waited, and it came at the Under-20 level. Patience and hard work are necessary," he said determinedly.

PATIENCE AND ANOTHER YEAR IN JUNIORS Logic suggests that the turning point came at the junior championship in Canada, but Gajan sees it differently. "There were many things, but the turning point came three years ago in Skalica. I don't want to talk much about Poprad. If I had stayed there, none of this would likely have happened. I came to Skalica. They prepared me for everything there, and from there, I moved to America. Perhaps people started noticing me after the World Championships. However, things started earlier, and it was heading in the right direction even before the championship when I attended the NAHL camp before the season. All the teams presented themselves at once, and after playing two games, I talked with twenty universities. Nobody understood where I came from."

Several juniors head to the more well-known American junior league, the USHL, but NAHL also has its name, where Gajan played most of the season. The quality of the competition is evidenced by the fact that many players move on to the university level NCAA from there. In the American junior league, many NHL goaltenders like Ben Bishop, Craig Anderson, Cory Schneider, and star Connor Hellebuyck played.

The name Gajan resonates enormously in the hockey community. The young man needs to prepare himself for more pressure. "I don't feel it at all for now. I don't feel pressure from other people. I create it for myself only. We'll see how it changes. I'm not afraid of it. I think it will be fine."

After the NHL combine in Buffalo, the Slovak goalkeeper moved to Chippewa, where he will go to the draft in Nashville. "I've arranged ice sessions. I also have a goaltending coach from Minnesota. Everything is taken care of. I have the best family. I stayed in America, and after the draft, I'll come to Slovakia for a few weeks."

The great talent of Slovak hockey has reached an agreement with the renowned University of Minnesota-Duluth, from which NHL players regularly emerge every year, but he will play another year in the USHL for the Green Bay Gamblers. He played six games for the team in the previous season. "We talked about the importance of patience for a goaltender. I don't want to play at the highest level in just one year. I want to be the best in five years to make it to the NHL. That's why another year in juniors will help me achieve my long-term goal. It's good to take slower steps and get a lot of experience," the young man said.

When asked if he plans to play in the NHL at 24 years old, he laughed. "I said that just like that. The plan is to play in Green Bay next year, then go to university, and then we'll see. I believe that one day I'll manage to reach the best hockey league in the world," Adam Gajan concluded.

ADMIRING VASILEVSKIY Adam Gajan also has a clear opinion on which goaltenders among the world's stars he likes the most right now. "Andrej Vasilevskiy is undoubtedly the best goaltender of recent years in the NHL. He moves incredibly well, he's amazing. Then I also like Sergei Bobrovsky. I like them both," said the Slovak goalkeeper.

Pazucha

Apr 3, 2023
Another interesting piece from a different interview article:

If you can dream about it, you can make it happen. When you take a close look at my mask, you will see this sentence written there. I cannot see into the future. I don't know if I will win the Stanley Cup, I don't know if I will become the best NHL goaltender with the Vezina Trophy. But I dream about it, and that is a good foundation.

That's how it can happen. I am also inspired by the team motto in Chippewa, which says that anything less than everything is not enough. You always have to give everything you've got. That's when results come, even when no one expects it. And that defines me and my career so far.

The name Adam Gajan was almost unknown a year ago. Today, some journalists predict my chance to be selected in the first round of the draft, and I communicate with NHL scouts almost every day. When the competent ones put together the team that will compete in the U20 World Championship, I wasn't included in the nomination. In the end, I became the number one there. I'm inspired by the story of Sergei Bobrovsky. He was never drafted, and he ended up winning two Vezina Trophies.

I genuinely believe that talent is not something you're born with. Hard work is infinitely more important. ... I dreamed of a career as a hockey player since early childhood. From the age of two, I admired goaltenders and wanted to become one of them myself. My journey began in Poprad. I started skating when I was four or five years old, and already at the age of seven, earlier than most, I was standing in the goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad