G Adam Gajan - Green Bay Gamblers, USHL (2023, 35th, CHI)

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
The real interest cannot be deceived. Adam immediately explained why he particularly emphasizes the "Black Hawks."

"Goaltending scouts have a much closer relationship with goaltenders than when a scout talks to a player. The Chicago goaltending scout communicates with me often; he has come to see me in person about ten times, and the head scout of the club has also seen me with his own eyes."

He clarified that genuine interest cannot be fooled.

"Many teams tell me that they have me highly rated and would like to draft me, but with some of them, you feel they have a significant interest. They engage in more detailed conversations with me. With Chicago, my agent and I have a very good feeling," says our goaltending comet.
Well there you go. The Hawks Goaltender scout is presumably high on this kid. Hopefully he works out.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Big fan of him, my favourite goaler in this entire draft even if others might have superior potential. His ceiling and floor should make him a top 3 goaler in the Blackhawks system even if he might not have "elite" potential. Reminds me of Joonas Korpisalo in both style and potential.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
The circuitous manner so many goalies take is always fascinating. Gajan looks like an exciting prospect and it's great to see his bets on himself continue to pay off. Great story so far, hopefully he keeps it up.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Not fan of grabbing him at #35 given talent available but I understand why Hawks did it if they really wanted him and heard whispers of the goalie run

Seems a legit prospect and only other viable G prospect in Hawks system is Drew Commesso who is a few years ahead of him in development. If Commesso fails to establish himself in coming years then path to being G of future for Hawks is wide open. If Commesso succeeds, then Hawks could develop Gajan and have potential trade chip

Reactions: Hinterland

ColbyChaos

Sep 27, 2017
Will County

Seems to be having fantastic season

Some questioned drafting goalie at #35 but thus far he is showing to be legit prospect worthy of selection in that spot

Also just the age old belief that some people have that you don’t need to draft a goalie in the early rounds and you can just find one in Europe or FA despite the Hawks not really having a whole lot of luck in that department save for Raanta the last 10 or so years

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Stagnating a bit this year in the USHL in his 19 year old season. Augustine and Fowler were way higher on my board, taking him that high was strange to me.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Stagnating a bit this year in the USHL in his 19 year old season. Augustine and Fowler were way higher on my board, taking him that high was strange to me.
Did you watch him play in the USHL? or just based on stats?

I thought he was great at the WJC, but I'm not watching the USHL outside of upcoming draft prospects.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Did you watch him play in the USHL? or just based on stats?

I thought he was great at the WJC, but I'm not watching the USHL outside of upcoming draft prospects.
That's the problem: his World Junior performances are the only standout stretches he's had since coming to North America. 0.917 in the NAHL in his 18 year old season is good, nothing special. 0.902 in the USHL in his 19 year old season is not great at all.

The only 18 year old season NAHL goalies that became anything special are Bishop (late birthday) and Hellebuyck, and both of them went straight to the NCAA for their 19 year old season. I could obviously be wrong, but Gajan's statistical stagnation as an older junior player is not positive.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
That's the problem: his World Junior performances are the only standout stretches he's had since coming to North America. 0.917 in the NAHL in his 18 year old season is good, nothing special. 0.902 in the USHL in his 19 year old season is not great at all.

The only 18 year old season NAHL goalies that became anything special are Bishop (late birthday) and Hellebuyck, and both of them went straight to the NCAA for their 19 year old season. I could obviously be wrong, but Gajan's statistical stagnation as an older junior player is not positive.
Unless you have access to other advanced stats or have watched him play games it's really hard to draw conclusions from save percentage and other basic stats.

From what I saw at the WJC, he's a confident goaltender and very athletic while having a good frame.

Reactions: mirec04

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

That's quite a bit higher than league wide save % fwiw, 5th in league amongst qualified games played, and it's hard to gauge just from stats. Will be interested to see how he progresses at NCAA next season.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
That's quite a bit higher than league wide save % fwiw, 5th in league amongst qualified games played, and it's hard to gauge just from stats. Will be interested to see how he progresses at NCAA next season.
The point is, he's not dominant at a lowel level as an older player, whereas Augustine and Fowler have looked good to very good at a higher level.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
The point is, he's not dominant at a lowel level as an older player, whereas Augustine and Fowler have looked good to very good at a higher level.
Well yes, it was known on draft day that Augustine and Fowler were further ahead, so they gambled on development given long goaltender curves. We'll see how it plays out.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Well yes, it was known on draft day that Augustine and Fowler were further ahead, so they gambled on development given long goaltender curves. We'll see how it plays out.
It's just a riskier gamble when better skaters and better goalies were on the board at the time. And yes, we will see how it plays out.

Hockey Know it all

Mar 10, 2019

That was technically Helley’s age 19 season when he played for Odessa.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
No it wasn't. 1993 born, season starts in 2011, thus 18 year old season.
For a guy who was playing in the Slovak Juniors system a couple years ago, I think Gajan has come a long way, still has a ways to go of course but he's got time to get where he needs to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad