Prospect Info: Anton Wahlberg, C/LW, Malmo (J20) - Selection 39OA, 2023 (Signed to 3 year ELC), Assigned to Roch 3/24/24

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
True. But there may be marketing opportunities with being branded as a Funky Bunch.

I hurt my thumbs typing that.

Not sure - a "Beach Boy" is self-explanatory. A "Funky Bunch" can be anything.

Brian got the idea for the original and only "Good Vibrations" from something his mom use to tell him - dogs can tell good people from bad based on their vibrations, so when a dog likes someone, it is because they give off good vibrations, and if they don't like a person, it's because of their bad ones.

Dogs just LOVE my wife and I so we're good. :)

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Scouts obviously know better than me. I think Mølgaard is the better player overall but Wahlberg has size and might bring more to the team. Sabres are big on projection as well and Wahlberg seems to be on a steep upward trajectory.

Mølgaard is really close to Östlund but more physical with slightly worse hands. A player we already have in a way.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
Not sure - a "Beach Boy" is self-explanatory. A "Funky Bunch" can be anything.

Brian got the idea for the original and only "Good Vibrations" from something his mom use to tell him - dogs can tell good people from bad based on their vibrations, so when a dog likes someone, it is because they give off good vibrations, and if they don't like a person, it's because of their bad ones.

Dogs just LOVE my wife and I so we're good. :)
Saw Brian Wilson on the "Smile" tour when he actually released it. Took my then-pre-teen daughters for the experience. It's a great memory for all of us.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
That's awesome. Have both versions of "Smile" on vinyl - the Beach Boys one and the Brian Wilson one.

Saw Brian with Al Jardine and Blondie Chapin do the entire "Pet Sounds" album at the Fox Theater a few years ago and it was an emotional night.

Reactions: Diaspora

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
According to EP, he has a twin brother Oskar who also plays for Malmo, but is a 5'10 143(!) lbs defender. If measurements are current, that's brutal to be five inches and fifty pounds smaller than your twin lol.

The runt twin! Good for him though for getting to Malmo, i wonder if he'll ever get drafted

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Pronman had him 33rd:

Background
Wahlberg was an all situations player for Malmo's J20 team and a top-six forward for Sweden's U18 team. He got called up to Malmo late in the season where he played a notable role, including in their relegation-round games.
Analysis
Wahlberg's raw toolkit instantly stand out when you watch. He's a 6-foot-3 forward who can move very well for his size and has legit offensive skills. The way he can pull pucks by opposing defensemen while moving at a fast pace looks like an NHL forward. He plays a direct style and with his frame plus speed can get to the net very well. I don't think he's overly physical, but he has some bite in him, gets to the net, and coaches tend to lean on him. Wahlberg's biggest issue is a lack of vision and so-so decision making with the puck. Wahlberg played center in the J20 level but played wing with Sweden's U18 team and in the SHL. If he can score just somewhat as a pro, with his size and speed he will have an NHL career as a middle six forward, whether down the middle or the wing, and I think he's trending that way.
Player Comparable
Pierre Engvall

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
KA: Wahlberg just feels alot like the Kulich pick from last year, did everything they could to move up in round 1 AND 2 to move up to get him.

Kudo's to whomever had this theory in the main draft thread, right on the money!

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
With whom can he be compared to the current NHL in terms of style of play? As I understand it, he will be a winger.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
According to EP, he has a twin brother Oskar who also plays for Malmo, but is a 5'10 143(!) lbs defender. If measurements are current, that's brutal to be five inches and fifty pounds smaller than your twin lol.
image.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad