Prospect Info: Anton Wahlberg, C/LW, Malmo (J20) - Selection 39OA, 2023 (Signed to 3 year ELC), Assigned to Roch 3/24/24

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia

That camera angle makes him look 8 feet tall

Sitting back, this feels like a luxury pick in the best way possible. I think he's a legit first-round talent. He's one of the top size/speed combos in the draft and as a July birthday that's crazy. What a fun follow he's going to be, huge potential but knowing we don't even really need him to hit.
Crazy when you don't need your 6'3" speedy Swede to hit. Future bottom 6 beast

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I wanted Dragicevic and Strbak as defense in this slot, or Molgaard/Heidt as forwards.

BUT, I do appreciate that KA seems to have found an inefficiency in the way teams evaluate very young eligible players with good second halves.

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
I don't know how you guys do it, but last year Kulich was one of my favorites. This year Wahlberg is one of my favorites.

Wahlberg has every tool you want to be an NHL goal scoring power forward. Big, good top speed, hands, shot, it's all there.

Lots to like in your pool.
we have an actual smart gm.... probably 90% of NHL gms are old boys club nepotism hires. the pegulas took a risk with an unknown quantity in KA and it is paying big dividends

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
we have an actual smart gm.... probably 90% of NHL gms are old boys club nepotism hires. the pegulas took a risk with an unknown quantity in KA and it is paying big dividends
From an outsider's point of view, you guys are as well positioned of a franchise as any I can remember. It's going to be interesting to see how it all comes together over the next few years. Should be contenders sooner than later.

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
I’d love to know how high they had them on their list if they started calling at pick 21. Top 15? Top 10?

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Also thinks more of a wing than a center as well but was unwilling to close that off completely. I hope to hear Forton's comments with a better audio feed than the mono-channel I got through Twitter just now.
Mono-channel with a hard pan left... some pro stuff going on there.
If I have some spare time when I'm done in the studio tomorrow I'll see if I can salvage something.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
I’d love to know how high they had them on their list if they started calling at pick 21. Top 15? Top 10?
I'm still thinking Musty was the target until 26, then they moved on to Wahlberg after. If you listen closely to Forton's post draft presser comments he mentions they had "targets" they tried to move up for.

Reactions: jc17

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
I'm still thinking Musty was the target until 26, then they moved on to Wahlberg after. If you listen closely to Forton's post draft presser comments he mentions they had "targets" they tried to move up for.
Adams said Wahlberg was a similar situation to Kulich though, I dunno.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
From an outsider's point of view, you guys are as well positioned of a franchise as any I can remember. It's going to be interesting to see how it all comes together over the next few years. Should be contenders sooner than later.
we are very lucky things worked out the way they did. the organization had to take a lot of risks blowing up the old core, but in doing so they ended up exceeding pretty much everyone's wildest expectations. it is finally good to be a sabres fan. we've waited a very long time for this

do not discount having Karmanos around as well. It's not likely to last much longer before he gets gm gig.
i think the whole front office is great tbh, it's an incredibly smart group of people

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I would bet money that they had Musty ranked very high. I think of Benson and the three top D were gone, he'd have been the pick at 13.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
1688141253935.png

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
I think this kid is my favorite Sabres prospect. I have him #5 on my rough draft mental list. Swedish hybrid of Engvall/Cozens/Wilson.

This Wild podcast was good on him - the title alone is enough for me, "...the Lunatic GMs covet." And this is March 2 before his development went really steep.

Stuff like this hints at the player some of us have been clamoring for, "...the hockey IQ can come and go, but he's a little bit of a hot head, like he kills guys too." Has the ability to "bully people and take over games." "Every time I picked my head up it's him running somebody on the forecheck, winning the puck back getting a shot on net." "Bullying 30yo men." "Nutjob."

Then he also has the dangle and power drive reels we've seen on Twitter. This in-zone solo goal is nice too.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
So will we be able to watch him on ESPN+? They doing SHL games right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad