Prospect Info: Anton Wahlberg, C/LW, Malmo (J20) - Selection 39OA, 2023 (Signed to 3 year ELC), Assigned to Roch 3/24/24

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I wonder how many first round graded players they’ve drafted lately. They said Wahlberg was and Benson obviously was. They said Neuchev was too. I doubt Leinonen had a first round grade despite drafting him before Neuchev. He was their top graded goalie in the class so he was picked so they didn’t miss out on the guy they liked in the weakest goalie class ever. But I can not fathom they’d have had a first round grade on him. Savoie, Ostlund and Kulich obviously did. As did Power and Rosen. And Quinn, and obviously Peterka since they tried to get into round 1 and ended up moving up in round 2. You don’t try to get into round 1 to get a player you don’t grade as a first round player.

That‘s, at least, 10 first round graded prospects in 4 years? And they took Poltapov with the first pick in round 2…undoubtedly in their top 32 ranked players….it doesn’t necessarily mean they had a first round grade on him…anyone who follows drafts knows teams will often only have 15-20 first round grades a year. But it’s a decent bet he could have.

So there obviously could be even more…but I feel confident in saying, from where they were selected or how they talked after drafting them, at least 10 in 4 years.

Which, if the scouting is strong…is incredible. But also 9 of them are forwards. Which makes future spots incredibly difficult for all of them…let alone the glut of upside forwards picked later.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I wonder how many first round graded players they’ve drafted lately. They said Wahlberg was and Benson obviously was. They said Neuchev was too. I doubt Leinonen had a first round grade despite drafting him before Neuchev. He was their top graded goalie in the class so he was picked so they didn’t miss out on the guy they liked in the weakest goalie class ever. But I can not fathom they’d have had a first round grade on him.

I'm 90% sure that they said that Leinonen was the only goalie they had last year with a first round grade.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Screenshot_20230714_155042_Instagram.jpg

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I'm 90% sure that they said that Leinonen was the only goalie they had last year with a first round grade.
I think hes the only goalie they had with a second round grade and the drop off after him was vast. I can not imagine any reputable scout of any kind having a first round grade on that goalie. They drafted him out of need knowing that Portillo was walking and they had Levi and nothing in the pipeline.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
I think hes the only goalie they had with a second round grade and the drop off after him was vast. I can not imagine any reputable scout of any kind having a first round grade on that goalie. They drafted him out of need knowing that Portillo was walking and they had Levi and nothing in the pipeline.
'We felt this guy had first, second round value"

"Question was, do we use one of our first round picks, or take a chance and wait for the second round pick? There was never consideration we would have gone later than that."

Hes the first player Forton talks about

Reactions: Kulich Man

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Excited to watch this kid (along with VBL) this year. Should also get a good chance to show off what he can do at the WJC.

I have plenty of criticisms about Adams, but I do think drafting has been his strong suit.

Reactions: JLewyB

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
My "favorite" Sabres prospect already, glad to have him inked. He got a lot of love from his Swedish peer group on IG, but McCarthy's was my favorite. Kid is going to be a beast.

Screenshot_20230714_165153_Instagram.jpg

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
His international U20 debut, with a goal to go along with it:

Gotta love Wahlberg blasting the stick out of the hands of the first defender, then finishing like the second isn't even there. The rush goals he scores are great, but we need him to be a netfront beast.

Rough scoreline there for our lads though.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Gotta love Wahlberg blasting the stick out of the hands of the first defender, then finishing like the second isn't even there. The rush goals he scores are great, but we need him to be a netfront beast.

Rough scoreline there for our lads though.

His ability to set up shop in the mid-slot and and get his stick free was one of the best things at the U18's. He's got the parts to be a power winger the likes of which they haven't developed in seemingly forever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad