Is Lassi Thomson Our Saviour?

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018
It's great to see him play so well. He's been up and down in terms of how he's been viewed as a prospect. Definitely looks like Mann was on the mark about his strong play. If he turns out to be top 4 quality, that would help so much.

Reactions: Carl Karlsson

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
It's great to see him play so well. He's been up and down in terms of how he's been viewed as a prospect. Definitely looks like Mann was on the mark about his strong play. If he turns out to be top 4 quality, that would help so much.

not really - there were a few bad takes here on his development … mostly
Based off misguided Twitter comments and no one watching him in the WJC.

Very similar to the Klevin / goalie break out comments.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I like how he has played in these two games, not great but solid enough & if he can manage to be paired with Chabot that allows Zub help whoever ends up on that 2nd pairing LD spot. Next yr if Thomson stays up Zub could play with Sanderson & that would make for a decent top 4 if Thomson can sustain his play in the NHL. JBD IMO is not that far behind either, he plays a pretty good solid defensive game, no flash just solid D play. Add Kleven & they could have a solid defence within the next yr or two.

Chabot - Thomson
Sanderson - Zub
Kleven - JBD

Reactions: Carl Karlsson

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
The best part about Thomson's game is his ability to have shown he can handle the physical play and forechecking really effectively. Numerous times he has separated man from body and made an insanely clutch play on the 5on3 that maybe only 3 regulars on this team could make when he intercepted a pass, and then bodied someone to clear the puck away.

I mean just watch this:

Also, makes terrific breakout passes:

I think he and Sanderson will be terrific for one another in a couple years.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Can we have both a savior and a top 5 pick? We seem to change our saviors a lot.. I think I'm going top 5 pick if I can only have 1.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
He might be close, but we as fans should hope for the best for our prospects in terms of development. If Dorion can make one move to bring in a decent defenseman for the rest of this season, it could give us flexibility to send Thomson back down to Belleville to continue improving his game to the point where it becomes undeniable that he is ready.

At the end of the day, this guy was only drafted 2-3 years ago in 2019 so it's not like he is some under-achieving first round pick that has been toiling in the minors for 5 years, I definitely think playing another 50 or so games in Belleville before coming back up full time is the right path to take.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Looks almost exactly like Ceci at the start. Good skater. Plays an ultra ultra simple game. I hope it keeps up.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Looks almost exactly like Ceci at the start. Good skater. Plays an ultra ultra simple game. I hope it keeps up.

Not sure I agree with this. Ceci was rushing up and down the ice early on in his career, and was often caught out of position. Literally the opposite of ultra simple.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Bruce kinda suggesting he's played his way on the team.. not sure what other move they'd make to keep him up when all are healthy but i hope he's right.

Defenceman Lassi Thomson remained in Ottawa because he has impressed. He won’t be sent back unless his play slips because he’s shown so far he can play at this level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad