Is Lassi Thomson Our Saviour?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Yeah but why won’t DJ just play the kids?!?

Also, if PD and DJ had played Lassie from the start we’d be in the playoff picture for sure by now!

KingAlfie11

Nov 3, 2021
He's a former first round pick and has looked very good compared to our veteran RD. Maybe Sens brass learned a little bit earlier this year to play the talented youth over scrubs.
I do agree that DJ needs to give more ice time to our guys on D, instead of Brown, Del Zotto

SevenOfSpades

Dec 9, 2010
I thought he looked good. I also thought Maxime Lajoie looked good his first time up with the big club. I'm hopeful but it's kind of premature to be using words like saviour at this point.
Cody Ceci also looked very promising in his first few games with the club.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
No, he's not a saviour, but he is a possibility for a top 4 spot, so is JBD IMO. Sanderson looks like he could be more of a saviour, but really nobody is & it will take a complete team effort & not one or two guys. This entire defence should look radically different next yr.

Reactions: Cosmix

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
No, he's not a saviour, but he is a possibility for a top 4 spot, so is JBD IMO. Sanderson looks like he could be more of a saviour, but really nobody is & it will take a complete team effort & not one or two guys. This entire defence should look radically different next yr.

I think this is correct as well...I like the idea of him getting seasoned in the NHL but next year is when I think we see a big boost in our defensive game based on a pretty significant influx of talent and guys playing roles they should be playing.

Sanderson and Lassi alone would be a big boost...Brann and whoever else on the 3rd pair would also be a big improvement.

Add in more consistent goaltending (and Pinto) and the boys could really turn some heads. This is the main reason I don't mind having this season be as awful as it appears to be. We can see growth, get a high pick and still look to make a jump in the standings (and in respectability) next season.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

The whole defence hopefully will be radically different next season (retain Chabot and Zub, add Sanderson plus 3 more D) ditching MDZ, Zaitsev, J.Brown, Holden & Brannstrom); however, we still have Dorion at the helm and I have serious doubt he will get the job done without mucking it up. The "3 more D" might include Thompson and JBD if they are ready for 3rd pair minutes.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
The best part about Thomson's game is his ability to have shown he can handle the physical play and forechecking really effectively. Numerous times he has separated man from body and made an insanely clutch play on the 5on3 that maybe only 3 regulars on this team could make when he intercepted a pass, and then bodied someone to clear the puck away.

I mean just watch this:

Also, makes terrific breakout passes:

I think he and Sanderson will be terrific for one another in a couple years.

So his soul has levitated outside his body? That certainly sounds like a saviour to me :D

Sorry, couldn't resist the temptation!

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Patience is our saviour :)

Worked well for Edm, Buffalo, Arizona etc. Not one single competent rebuild in the league has ever won with just patience. Even the great Pitts with generational talent in Crosby and Malkin got serious help in Robarts, Recchi, Hossa etc.

Even Capitals only made a serious jump after they made a big splash in one off-season getting Orpik and Niskanen. And before that Kozlov and Federov.

Or Pitts on their second wave of becoming elite after getting Kessel, Hagelin and Bonino.

Not one single team in last decade or 2 ever won on just patience. But you know better :) :) :) :) :) :)

Reactions: Xspyrit

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Worked well for Edm, Buffalo, Arizona etc. Not one single competent rebuild in the league has ever won with just patience. Even the great Pitts with generational talent in Crosby and Malkin got serious help in Robarts, Recchi, Hossa etc.

Even Capitals only made a serious jump after they made a big splash in one off-season getting Orpik and Niskanen. And before that Kozlov and Federov.

Or Pitts on their second wave of becoming elite after getting Kessel, Hagelin and Bonino.

Not one single team in last decade or 2 ever won on just patience. But you know better :) :) :) :) :) :)

I see a lot of shitty drafting, and teams with zero identity listed there. Three cautionary tales, compared to the absolute best case scenarios.

We have crafted a play style and a team identity, and we’re building out from there. We also have financial realities that must be adhered to. The call for patience is for you, not the team. The team is following its plan, as they keep telling us.

No team in any decade has won anything because the fanbase freaked out online either, ever. No team has won anything ever based on a fanbase hoping that the financial picture was different in their market.

This thing is unfolding this way whether we like it or not. Sometimes it’s best for mental health so just sit back, be patient, and enjoy the ride for what it’s worth. :)

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I think another 40-50 games in the AHL this season will be excellent for him. He got a taste of the NHL, it was probably a huge confidence boost for him to know he can play in the best league in the world, so going down to the lesser AHL should give him that ability to see the game differently and dominate

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
I think another 40-50 games in the AHL this season will be excellent for him. He got a taste of the NHL, it was probably a huge confidence boost for him to know he can play in the best league in the world, so going down to the lesser AHL should give him that ability to see the game differently and dominate

Yeah I agree.

I honestly don’t think the Sens would hesitate too much to waive Brown if they felt Lassi was ready. We did it last year when our acquisitions were uh, not great.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
We have our GM to thank for the current roster and personnel decisions as inexplicable as they are.

Is that good or bad ? Many project us as a top young team. A lot of the players you have hyped the past 2-3 years are out of the league or irrelevant…

White, Wolanin, Daccord types while mocking the EK trade, Lassi, Sanderson, Pinto, Klevin, and a zillion draft picks.

let’s give the guy a chance., he has a lot more hits than misses and it takes time.

Last edited:
Reactions: R We A Team

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I think this is correct as well...I like the idea of him getting seasoned in the NHL but next year is when I think we see a big boost in our defensive game based on a pretty significant influx of talent and guys playing roles they should be playing.

Sanderson and Lassi alone would be a big boost...Brann and whoever else on the 3rd pair would also be a big improvement.

Add in more consistent goaltending (and Pinto) and the boys could really turn some heads. This is the main reason I don't mind having this season be as awful as it appears to be. We can see growth, get a high pick and still look to make a jump in the standings (and in respectability) next season.

I would be extremely wary of playing two rookie blueliners next year, let alone three. How could you possibly shelter all of them?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad