Is Lassi Thomson Our Saviour?

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
I would be extremely wary of playing two rookie blueliners next year, let alone three. How could you possibly shelter all of them?

Question, how are our young dmen supposed to gain the experience to not need sheltering? I do agree with your point that it would be hard to insulate said young dmen without proper skilled veterans. But our team keeps sending said players down for meh to bad veterans and it has created the problem.

We had two seasons before this one to give Brannstrom an opportunity to earn the experience to not need sheltering and you can look at the poor options we played over him.

Now with Thomson he has shown at the very basic part to be more of an nhl player then most of our veteran dmen. That being said he does not have the experience like you indicated. We could play him now when it would be easier to insulate him instead of in 4ish months when sanderson will also be in the lineup. We are internally choosing to create this problem by playing J.Brown/Del Zotto and thats not me even referencing Zaistev just because of DJ's man crush.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I thought he looked good. I also thought Maxime Lajoie looked good his first time up with the big club. I'm hopeful but it's kind of premature to be using words like saviour at this point.

I remember thinking Brian Lee looked like a pure stud in his first NHL game. Brian Murray backed up my thoughts and threw high praise on him in the post-game interview too.

And my god did ever start to go downhill from there... That first game was literally his peak performance in the NHL :laugh:.

Also many will remember Rundblad and "d'at pass". Yet another dman with a promising debut that tapered off rather quickly once the adrenaline had worn off after those first games.

Having said that, there's something about Lassi that makes me think hes different. Hes like the prototypical modern day top 4 dman.

Hes a high level athlete and has all the physical tools to get the job done. Skates very well. And he can move the puck as adequately as he can defend in his own zone. Nothing flashy at all, but almost in a pleasing way -sorta like Pinto and how he plays an effective brand of reliable hockey thats pleasing to watch.

And while we havent got to see it in action much yet - the fact that he has a cannon for a shot is something we've lacked for over a decade - EK65 included. He was a smart shooter - but did not have a reliable and booming one-timer in his arsenal. So this could be a huge boon for both Thompson and us in the near future.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I would be extremely wary of playing two rookie blueliners next year, let alone three. How could you possibly shelter all of them?
Who is the 3rd? Brann? He isn't really a rookie and would be on 3rd pair.

Chabot/Lassi
Sanderson/Zub

Brann/Z

I have zero doubt that Sanderson comes in and holds his own very quickly and Lassi could certainly keep improving this year to the point of too 4 next season.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Who is the 3rd? Brann? He isn't really a rookie and would be on 3rd pair.

Chabot/Lassi
Sanderson/Zub

Brann/Z

I have zero doubt that Sanderson comes in and holds his own very quickly and Lassi could certainly keep improving this year to the point of too 4 next season.

I really like Sanderson, and liked what Lassi has showed the last couple of games, but pretty much ALL rookie blueliners need sheltering in their first year of the NHL. The best way to wreck a young blueliner is to throw him to the NHL wolves too early. Defense has become an insanely difficult position to play since the league cut down on hooking and holding and interference a decade ago. Blueliners lost half their 'oh shit' toolbox to open up the game. There's a reason why most of the kids now are offense first, and why Sanderson could be a unicorn.

Now, if we manage to have Lassi playing the last 30+ games in the season this year and get him acclimatized a bit, then it's a bit easier next year for Sanderson to start in the AHL, then get a callup to the NHL around xmas. But you really don't want both guys thrown into the league at the same time in addition to a very inexperienced Brannstrom. You want to try and spread that out a bit.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
I'm curious about DJ. He's so laser focused on the "big defencemen" theory because that's what the 4 conference finals teams had last year, but he's blind to the fact that damn near all of the big defencemen on those 4 teams can play hockey pretty damn well at the NHL level. Some play it at an elite level.

Josh Brown probably can't wipe his own ass at an elite level, and yet he's saying that one of the few glimmers of hope that fans have seen this year might be a contract casualty? Why is waivers or exploring trades never mentioned with the struggling Sens blueline? Is the extra few hundred thousand dollars that Lasi will make compared to his AHL salary an issue?

Reactions: bicboi64

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I'm curious about DJ. He's so laser focused on the "big defencemen" theory because that's what the 4 conference finals teams had last year, but he's blind to the fact that damn near all of the big defencemen on those 4 teams can play hockey pretty damn well at the NHL level. Some play it at an elite level.

Josh Brown probably can't wipe his own ass at an elite level, and yet he's saying that one of the few glimmers of hope that fans have seen this year might be a contract casualty? Why is waivers or exploring trades never mentioned with the struggling Sens blueline? Is the extra few hundred thousand dollars that Lasi will make compared to his AHL salary an issue?

I’m not sure why anyone would think DJ is “laser focused” on big D men. Our D isn’t big. Branstrom struggled to play D, which is why he was sent down, not because he was small. Mete has been a regular insert on our back end and is small.

Also, he never said that. If you’re referring to the fake tweet posted earlier, it’s fake.

What DJ said was that Lassi has played well enough to stay up with the team, but if they determine that his long term development is best served by playing in Belleville, then they will send him back down. But for now he’s played well and will stay up with the big team.

What’s the problem here?

Reactions: PlayOn

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I really like Sanderson, and liked what Lassi has showed the last couple of games, but pretty much ALL rookie blueliners need sheltering in their first year of the NHL. The best way to wreck a young blueliner is to throw him to the NHL wolves too early. Defense has become an insanely difficult position to play since the league cut down on hooking and holding and interference a decade ago. Blueliners lost half their 'oh shit' toolbox to open up the game. There's a reason why most of the kids now are offense first, and why Sanderson could be a unicorn.

Now, if we manage to have Lassi playing the last 30+ games in the season this year and get him acclimatized a bit, then it's a bit easier next year for Sanderson to start in the AHL, then get a callup to the NHL around xmas. But you really don't want both guys thrown into the league at the same time in addition to a very inexperienced Brannstrom. You want to try and spread that out a bit.
I would be floored if Sanderson saw any AHL time outside of potentially being there for a playoff run to finish his season this year.

I get why you are feeling uneasy but either one being paired with Chabot/Zub is great insulation and even if Lassi plays rest of season in the A he will have 3 years of pro experience before becoming a regular in the NHL which is how many D make the transition. He won't be some 18 year old, fresh faced kid.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Speaking of AHL playoffs, what a failure it would be to miss them... I mean, a rebuilding team need to be an Calder Cup contender. So far the B-Sens missed in 2017-18, 2018-19 and would have missed in 2020-21. The only time they had a good team, season was cancelled!

Can’t take the chance to put Brown on waivers and lose him …..

Let's be honest, they'd rather waive Brannstrom if they could.

Some will not take this post seriously but it's basically what happened in january when they waived Balcers instead of Anisimov/Paquette/Galchenyuk who played a total of 36 games...

Hopefully Brannstrom is traded as soon as possible. Don't want to see him come to the new season with waivers requirement. Even if they wouldn't really waive him, I don't think he has played poorly enough to be miscast on such a bad defensive squad. He doesn't deserve this Damocles sword

MDZ got this

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Which is what I have been saying for yrs that contracts matter & that this org can't afford to put one way contracts in the minors & pay them an NHL salary. The real problem is the defencemen the GM keeps bringing in seem to be near the end of their careers or bottom six players. Maybe better defencemen are too expensive or don't want to come to a rebuilding team or they will block their own prospects longer, who knows?

Sens of Anarchy said:
We have our GM to thank for the current roster and personnel decisions as inexplicable as they are.

Agreed, but it's also the problem of when the prospects are NHL ready. While Thomson looks ready to most of us who knows how in an extended length of time in the NHL he will play? If he fails we rushed him, if he succeeds why wasn't he brought up earlier & so on. It's a tough call & it's my guess that Mann in Belleville also has some say on whether these guys are NHL ready or not.

It's also probably the reason they don't go out & get a stud defenceman. One, they are probably going to cost too much in terms of trade & salary & two, maybe their own prospects are close to being NHL ready. Given that most think this season was a write-off anyway & if they can just hang on for another season they should be ready to go next yr. It's also when Sanderson should arrive & maybe JBD will be close too. They may improve, but they will also be quite young on defence & that could still be a problem.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
I remember thinking Brian Lee looked like a pure stud in his first NHL game. Brian Murray backed up my thoughts and threw high praise on him in the post-game interview too.

And my god did ever start to go downhill from there... That first game was literally his peak performance in the NHL :laugh:.

Also many will remember Rundblad and "d'at pass". Yet another dman with a promising debut that tapered off rather quickly once the adrenaline had worn off after those first games.

Having said that, there's something about Lassi that makes me think hes different. Hes like the prototypical modern day top 4 dman.

Hes a high level athlete and has all the physical tools to get the job done. Skates very well. And he can move the puck as adequately as he can defend in his own zone. Nothing flashy at all, but almost in a pleasing way -sorta like Pinto and how he plays an effective brand of reliable hockey thats pleasing to watch.

And while we havent got to see it in action much yet - the fact that he has a cannon for a shot is something we've lacked for over a decade - EK65 included. He was a smart shooter - but did not have a reliable and booming one-timer in his arsenal. So this could be a huge boon for both Thompson and us in the near future.

The thing I noticed most about Lassi is his skating. He is really mobile and quick. I noticed this in pre-season and that is why I suggested he might be closer than we think at that time. In the Brannstrom thread I also suggested having he and Brann come up at the same time. I didn't get to see enough of Lassi in the pre season, to get an idea about his physical game. He plays the right type of physicality. He isn't necessarily a booming hitter, but he definitely plays the body and then uses his stick to chip pucks off opposing players. He's going to be a gem as he develops a little more.

Reactions: Ralph Malfredsson

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Yup, he’s a good 1 on 1 defender as well. Starting to inspire confidence a little when he’s on the ice.

Really good to see and feel 3 games in to watching the kid play.

He’s a reminder of the importance of patience with the young prospects.

Reactions: DylanSensFan

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
A few expected gaffes aside to start the game, Lassi settled very nicely and looked good last night in his call up against the Sabres:

011+424 shifts20:22
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Pretty sick to see how he is progressively getting better, giving us glimpses of being a top-4 defenceman in the near future.

Reactions: Icelevel

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I thought he was spectacular last game. Seasoned vet and was much smoother than previous call ups.

If Thomson can maintain 75% of that play all of next season they we suddenly have a playoff capable top for of:

Chabot-Thomson
Sanderson-Zub

Would be huge. Oh how I wish.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Finnish Dog Lassi Thomson has looked better than any of Zaitsev, Brown, Mete, MDZ, and perhaps even JBD (who can make it to NHL before Thomson as he plays a simpler but mature defensive game). Ideally, for Thomson to be a mainstay in the NHL, he will have to bring his offensive/puck moving game with him from the AHL, where he is at half point clip this seasion playing very good hockey according to Troy Man's Mann. Last night was an interesting call-up, Lassi Dog comes in and eats away heavy minutes while being rewarded with an assist. I am encouraged by his progression, hope he makes the decision difficult for DJ after Brann returns. Both Josh Brown and Mete can ride the pine if selection is based on merit and development of young players. They will win less games now with Bathman gone, DJ should focus on development as he claims.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
This kid is serving a lot of crow to a lot of posters around here who were quick to bash him
It's not just that he's serving crow, it's how he's serving it. You watch him walk the Blueline in the o zone or pass the puck to clear the zone, it's pretty clear the kid thinks the game quite well. Precisely what he was criticised for is what he's demonstrating.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
We’ve had a few young defencemen that looked real good early on then crashed and burned… Ceci, Wedman, Lavoie to name a few. IMO we need to wait until they come out of the shade to see how they can really play the pro game.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
it's pretty clear the kid thinks the game quite well. Precisely what he was criticised for is what he's demonstrating.
It's not often a guy criticized for his decisions early on turns it around and turns that weakness into a strength. He's switched leagues ever year since his draft year it seems so maybe that's part of why, this year he's played in a Belleville system that was geared towards preparing him for the NHL, and it's apparently paying dividends. Credit where it's due, he's really surpassed expectations ever since the second half of last season. Always had the tools but he's put the to good use lately.

Reactions: Samsquanch

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
It's not often a guy criticized for his decisions early on turns it around and turns that weakness into a strength. He's switched leagues ever year since his draft year it seems so maybe that's part of why, this year he's played in a Belleville system that was geared towards preparing him for the NHL, and it's apparently paying dividends. Credit where it's due, he's really surpassed expectations ever since the second half of last season. Always had the tools but he's put the to good use lately.

Hockey IQ doesn't go from a weakness to a strength

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Hockey IQ doesn't go from a weakness to a strength
That's kind of my point, his play wasn't as good early on, and people criticized his hockey IQ for it, but the issue was potentially just taking time to adapt to new teams, leagues and systems, going from liiga, to WHL, back to liiga, to AHL, all that change and needing adapt masked that elements of his game.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
That's kind of my point, his play wasn't as good early on, and people criticized his hockey IQ for it, but the issue was potentially just taking time to adapt to new teams, leagues and systems, going from liiga, to WHL, back to liiga, to AHL, all that change and needing adapt masked that elements of his game.

The expressed concerns about his hockey IQ started from the day he was drafted. Watching him at this point, would you consider Thomson to be a low IQ player? My point, and I'll state it more clearly so there's no confusion, is that those expressing those concerns initially clearly don't have a f***ing clue what they are talking about. He didn't turn anything around, the IQ to visualize the game was there on draft Day.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
It's not just that he's serving crow, it's how he's serving it. You watch him walk the Blueline in the o zone or pass the puck to clear the zone, it's pretty clear the kid thinks the game quite well. Precisely what he was criticised for is what he's demonstrating.

Wasn't it his defensive IQ that was the issue and not his offensive instincts?

Assen na yo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad