Is Lassi Thomson Our Saviour?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Troy pretty much explained what the ‘issue’ was with Lassi. In his opinion Lassi was being ignored as a rookie player in a euro league. He wasn’t getting any personal coaching, nor was he getting much quality ice time. He said it’s how pro leagues in Europe tend to operate in regards to rookies.

Once he was brought to Belleville, and was actually coached directly and personally by a team of coaches, he flourished and his all around game started to progress. His progression is the reason why they rushed to pull Jarventie out of Europe as well.

The kid was always good, just didn’t have anyone to to teach him how to be better until he arrived in Belleville.

Reactions: KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Finland also knew Lassi wasn’t sticking around long… they didn’t invest much energy in him.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Troy pretty much explained what the ‘issue’ was with Lassi. In his opinion Lassi was being ignored as a rookie player in a euro league. He wasn’t getting any personal coaching, nor was he getting much quality ice time. He said it’s how pro leagues in Europe tend to operate in regards to rookies.

Once he was brought to Belleville, and was actually coached directly and personally by a team of coaches, he flourished and his all around game started to progress. His progression is the reason why they rushed to pull Jarventie out of Europe as well.

The kid was always good, just didn’t have anyone to to teach him how to be better until he arrived in Belleville.

Yeah, and I’ve also heard him comment on Lassi’s confidence several times and saying that he is very hard on himself. You need to trust your instincts in such a fast game and if you don’t it can lead to lots of mistakes.

He looks great. Our defense is shaping up nicely now, might be the best d-core we’ve had in ages next year.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Criticism, right or wrong, existed in his draft year when he was in the WHL and definitely getting quality mins, as well as when he captained his team in the WJC, can't blame that on the Liiga.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah, and I’ve also heard him comment on Lassi’s confidence several times and saying that he is very hard on himself. You need to trust your instincts in such a fast game and if you don’t it can lead to lots of mistakes.

He looks great. Our defense is shaping up nicely now, might be the best d-core we’ve had in ages next year.
Yeah, I think his confidence was definately affected bouncing from league to league, particularly when he went back to the Liiga and was underutilized. Hard to accurately judge a players hockey IQ when they don't trust themselves to make the plays.

Reactions: PlayOn

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Criticism, right or wrong, existed in his draft year when he was in the WHL and definitely getting quality mins, as well as when he captained his team in the WJC, can't blame that on the Liiga.

Oh sure, criticisms exists everywhere on HFSens, my point was that his big step as a player didn’t come out of nowhere, it apparently began as soon as he started to play in Belleville in a development program geared towards working with guys like him.

Great to hear.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

Lassi was excellent for Finland in the u20’s… he was mean and physical. JBD was overrated for Canada struggling to defend vs strong forwards.

JBD came out mistakenly viewed as a future top 2D and Lassi was shamed on Twitter and became collateral damage to Dorion hatters.

JBD still needs to get stronger and Lassi’s skill set is becoming obvious to everyone including the worst of Dorion’s haters.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
At the end of the day his play has improved to the point he should get praise and recognition for it.

Previously, for whatever the reason(s), he was struggling to be consistent and he turned it around in a big way.

Don't care about crow or fan evaluations just really excited to see we might have another home grown D that will be a legit NHL player...they have been far and few between for a long time now.

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
He's playing well & will challenge Brann for a lineup spot on D next yr.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Both players should easily be in the opening lineup unless DJ wants to be an idiot again and play pylons instead
I think Zaitsev starts the yr in the lineup & the last spot will be fought between Lassie & Brann with Brann maybe having the inside edge.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Honestly I think it might be Holden that ends up being 7D. Bran is playing too well to not have in the line up, so if this is what he is no and getting better there is no chance he doesn’t start the year on the team. Lassi could start again in Belleville to both give the team time to make room/make sure he is ‘over ripe’.

At this time I think Bran is ahead of Lassi and JBD. I think we may do something with Z, and then JBD is hopefully ready when Holden is up. Then we have to make room for Kleven…. Damn…. We are going to have to trade a good young defenceman soon.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
He's playing well & will challenge Brann for a lineup spot on D next yr.
I'd see it this way

Chabot Zaitsev
Sanderson Zub
Brannstrom Thomson

With Holden getting into 50+ games as injuries occur.

By mid season Sanderson Zub are playing the harder minutes and Thomson is paired with Chabot.

Brannstrom is PP 2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad